NRAS

Chimney fire!

So, had excitement tonight,my chimney caught fire. Fire brigade sorted it and am now cleared up the best I can, have sat down and my hands and feet are burning, fingers and wrists painful. Then put the oven on and forgot I had meringues cooling, smelt burnt sugar and couldn't think why until My brain started working again! I hope thats all tonight! One good thing is that burnt sugar is a slightly better smell than smoke!!!

13 Replies
oldestnewest

Good lord! That's way more exciting than your average slow Sunday! On a more serious note, thank goodness no one was harmed and your ok- in so far as not damaged by fire . I hope the Iain in your hands etc settles down soon.

Take care!

Marie

2 likes

Thank you!

Davina

Oh dear that was not a good night for you darling,but at least your safe and though your hurting your alive darling which i am sure we are all grateful for.xxx

2 likes

Oh dear! Very glad you're safe except for the painful hands etc. Best wishes 🤗😍

1 like

Oh nooo - I am so sorry - both for the chimney fire, but for the lovely meringues too.. I do love me some meringue =)... Hope you are feeing better now after all of the excitement

2 likes

Couldn't think why the house still smelt of smoke, this morning, the chimey was still smouldering, out now I hope! Will try again with the meringues tomorrow! Thank you for all your thoughts.

1 like

Hello, I have been an expert on setting my chimney on fire, at least once in every house I have lived in, (six so far). I now have a large pack of table salt at hand, put a big double handful straight away. It turns to steam to help smother the fire, then call the fire-brigade.

3 likes

Thank you a great thing to know.I will always have salt at hand in future.

Brought back memories of real coal fires ,thanks for that

Glad there were no serious problems after your fire.

A good reminder that chimneys need regular sweeping. At least once a year and more often depending on how often and how long your fire is used.

Yes, I had it swept in October but will domit twice a year from now on!

It depends on what you are burning. Softwood is bad for leaving deposits in the flue and every 3 months is the recommendation. Poorly seasoned wood burns cool and tars condense in the chimney.

Thank you.

You may also like...