Rookie Year

One year for me tonight, and I am grateful it is not the same as this date last year. At that time, I had recently broken my heel and had two operations. My bone was not healing well and my surgeon attributed that to smoking. I did my own research, but could not find the flaw with his medical opinion, though I tried :) So I decided to quit, but seriously quit, not like the dozens of times when my quit was a passing thought; or something I said to shut someone up. I had already started vaping (along with my smoking) and decided to eliminate the tobacco part.

So on a Tuesday night, I was out with friends and had my last cigarette. I walked home and thought this isn’t so bad. Reality kicked in the next morning. My doctor had also recommended that I quit or limit alcohol and caffeine (as they also interfere with bone healing). So I spent Wednesday, without my ciggies, or my coffee, on crutches, in my walking boot, working from home. I drew on my e-cig so hard, I thought I would break my teeth.

The whole week was horrible, as was the next one, and the one after that; but gradually it got better. I didn’t keep track of when changes came but with time there were less cravings, and they were less intense. I lowered the e-cig to zero % nicotine, and eventually stopped using it. I remember feeling better at 3 months and much better at 6.

My friends have been incredibly supportive, but it was also this site and the contributors who helped with the determination to keep on going. Overall I feel healthier; my throat, chest, skin, teeth, fingers, numerous other parts, and of course my heel is better. I gained 37 pounds after my quit (and being on crutches for months). Since I’ve ditched my boot, I’ve lost 20 of them. Hopefully the rest go by next year.

The cravings are almost completely gone. They probably never go away 100%, but at this point for me, it is 30-40 minutes a week. Sometimes I understand the trigger and sometimes it is random. But it is more like nostalgia than a hard craving. After smoking for 30 years, it still seems odd not to smoke in certain situations. Like too many people I started smoking as a teenager. We were all young and dumb, and I regret not quitting after I supposedly matured, but I have no time machine to go back in.

In return for the painful months and remaining moments; I’m not thinking about smoking in an airport, meetings, a restaurant, with my family, or the other 23 plus hours a day. Missing something for a short time is nothing compared to being caught in an addictive, dangerous, antisocial, smelly, and costly habit.

For new quitters, or people lurking on this site who are not sure they are ready to quit; I can only say to swing for the fences. If you miss, try again, and again, and again, until you have succeeded. Nobody has ever regretted quitting this habit.

11 Replies

• Wonderful C/XCgange.. Huge milestone and excellent post...Must be an inspiration to all wanna be quitters... Yes we will always have to fight but I have said it and that is that I have had only negative thoughts on smoking from 1 year onward...Welcome in the Penthouse with us...!!!!

• What a great post! I particularly like the last sentence...very true. Congratulations from me Cocoa, marvellous achievement.

• Ah huge congratulations CocoaXChange, well done and enjoy the party in the penthouse but save yourself for me next week :)

• Well put , and very well done , great read :) cheers 🖒

• Congratulations CocoaXChange, welcome to the penthouse and welcome into year 2 for your quit, which is more the easy life!!

I totally get that you still feel weird about smoking in certain circumstances still, but this year will sort that out. Your thinking by the end of this year will be WHY! Why did I ever smoke :)

I hope you are going to treat yourself to something?!

• Brilliant and very motivating post. Well done on your quit. You had a lot against you from the beginning and succeeded.

My mum quit over 3 years ago. She had a bad chest infection which was past the stage of getting medication and decided no more ciggies as she was obviously over the worst of nicotine withdrawal. She still gets the odd craving to this day. As you say I think it never leaves you the odd craving and if you quit smoking realising that, it can also help your quit longer term.

My son and I were talking about smoking the other night and starting as teens which in a way still seems to be a fashion thing with youngsters. If only they knew really!

Also the smoking ban has certainly helped that you cannot smoke wherever which is a great thing and resists any temptation.

• Congratulations!!!!!!!

🎉🎉 CocoaXChange 🎉🎉

What an inspiring post. The truth hurts but acting on it and changing for the better is really the only answer for all of us!! I love your closing remark!! You are right, I've never met a quitter who regrets quitting!!!!

Hope you are enjoying your time in the penthouse. Your in good company and more great ones to follow like RoisinO1 next week.

Hope ya'll wait for me:) I'll be living their someday too❤️

Wanda xo

• Brilliant post. I really enjoyed reading that.

Will done.

• Fantastic post

• Thank you all. I am going on holiday to Thessaloniki on Tuesday. I guess that is the final test, as Greece remains one of the dens of smoking.

Enjoy the weekend.

• Congratulations to you!!!

You may also like...