New quitter here, male aged 61 & smoked since I was 13.

Been planning to quit for a while & was waiting for the right time to do it.

The right time came on Feb 10 2014 at 2.30pm when I suffered a Heart Attack. I have absolutely no desire to ever smoke again after surviving that !

Been very easy to quit after seeing the carnage that smoking causes, I am not out of the woods yet by a long shot, BUT I got away with it..........Just.

My occupation is/was a HGV Driver, this is now debatable if i will get my HGV License back, I will need to pass a treadmill test first, my consultant says no chance.

So, there you have it, looking on the plus side I am still alive & at last I quit the Fags !!!

7 Replies

• Welcome Gus,sorry to hear of your health troubles but sometimes it's the kick up the backside we need to make us change our ways.....:)

Your doing well after smoking so long.Stick to it and post as often as you want:)

• Hi Gus,

A very big welcome to the forum from me too. You'll get gallons of support, encouragement and advice here as we're all in the same boat. :)

Like Max, I smoked for 30 years before quitting so it's quite true- no matter how long you've smoked for, you can succeed in quiting and substantially improve your health and fitness. I will keep everything crossed that not only do you make a full recovery, but that you'll be positively dancing down that treadmill in a few months time :D

I shall look forward to reading about your journey. Well done on taking the first steps to freedom! :)

• A quick update ! Quit 10 Feb 14, now 10 May 14 ! Not even a thought of a smoke ! found it to be one of the easiest things I have ever done in my life believe it or not.

Mind you there have been serious medical issues to help me along the "no smoking road" !

If asked about my medical issues I always say they are caused by smoking the fags !

I have put a little weight on but not anything to worry about, also quids better off too.

Thats it for now, update later !

• Wow...huge congratulations from me! That's fantastic Gus/Mike. :D

I bet everyone is so proud of you (and I hope you are proud of yourself too). Do continue to pop in from time to time to let us know how you're doing. :)

• Gus/Mike - what a inspiring post. Keep going as you are, and the longer you stay quit the easier it will get :)

• Another update.

Now FIVE whole months of not smoking !

Have had one or two health problems along the way but getting there.

Also over £1500 better off !

Did put a little weight on at first, due to inactivity etc but now actually beginning to lose weight, so a win win situation.

Have been in hospital a couple of times recently & when asked by a Doc / Nurse if I smoked it was fantastic to say, NO I DON'T SMOKE ! Trust me what a great feeling that is.

Keep at it !

• Many congratulations Gus! 5 months is a mighty achievement. Well done you! :)

It is lovely being able to (truthfully) say you don't smolke isn't it? I don't think I shall ever get over the smug feeling.

Well done on the weight loss too and that your health is improving.

You may also like...