Welcome to nduja pasta - Stuffed Peppers - 174 calories!

Welcome to nduja pasta - Stuffed Peppers - 174 calories!

Stuffed peppers have featured several times for us during recent years. We recently took delivery of some Italian nduja spicy paste and I decided to try it out in this recipe.

"Nduja is perhaps the ultimate salami from Calabria, and the most fiery. Originally from Monte Poro, near Capo Vaticano, it is now widespread throughout the region, loved for its intense flavour and beautiful texture, which is spreadable.

Strong and marked in flavour, but at the same time quite smooth and tender, the Nduja is prepared by hand from finely minced cuts of select pork, skilfully seasoned, and packed into natural sausage skins. The flavour is at first quite sweet, then explodes with the full force of Calabrian chilli pepper."

I have to say it was SPICY! Loved the flavour, but the heat could have been turned down a fraction! Thankfully the sweetness of the pepper, the rice and the generous serving of soured cream helped counteract the heat, but my nose is still streaming!

This whole meal (50g of rice, 30ml of soured cream) totalled 409 calories.

Spicy Stuffed Peppers (Serves 4)

Cooking Time: 1 hour 20 mins

Serves:4

Calories per serving:174

Ingredients

Garlic -2 Cloves/6g

Carrots -80g

Chestnut Mushrooms -85g

Red Peppers -4 Peppers

Vegetarian Mince or Quorn mince -100g

Olive Oil -15ml

Brown Onions -50g

1 stick of Celery trimmed - 50g

Italian Nduja Paste -25g

Sumac Spice - 5g

Chipotle Paste -10g

Borlotti Beans Canned -100g

Water -½ Glass/100ml

Method

Peel and finely dice onions and chop garlic cloves. Wash/peel and finely dice celery, carrot, mushrooms.

Using a sharp knife, carefully cut around the stalk of each pepper, and using the knife, remove the stalk and a little of the surrounding flesh. Retain these! Using a spoon, carefully scrape out the seeds from the peppers being very careful not to split the flesh at all.

Put oil into a large lidded pan, and put onto a medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and fry over a low heat for 5 - 10 minutes. Then add the garlic and continue to fry until the onion is soft and translucent (don't allow to brown).

Add the soya mince, the chipotle, nduja, sumac and fry for 5 minutes releasing the oils. Add the water and stir. Heat until bubbling. Add the mushrooms and stir. Lower heat to a simmer, put lid on pan and cook for a further 30 minutes on a low heat, stirring every few minutes until all ingredients are cooked. Once cooked, add the beans and stir through.

Add further water (if required), but the mixture shouldn't be too liquidy. At the same time, don't allow it to absorb all the liquid.

Place the peppers on their bases upright in a high sided casserole dish. They need to remain upright, so it the dish is too large and the peppers slip, use balls of crumpled foil to keep them in place.

Fill each pepper with the meat mixture, pushing down firmly with the back of a spoon. Replace each "stalk lid" onto the peppers to cover the mixture.

Place peppers into oven temperature 200 degrees and cook for 25-30 minutes until the flesh of the peppers is soft and has started to slightly blacken.

Cook the rice by your preferred method (I use a microwave steamer). Make a bed of rice on each of the plates and carefully place a pepper on top.

Nutrition Data Per Serving

Calories (kcal)174

Carbohydrate (g)17.3

Fat (g)7.6

Fibre (g)6.7

Protein (g)10.0

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • It sounds as if it's quite painful to eat, Pineapple! Thanks very much for sharing :)

• Another great sounding recipe. I can't get enough chilli, so right up my street. I've got the chipotle and sumac but not the nduja. I'm loving trying out different things so will investigate.

Thanks for posting.

You may also like...