Some of the Benefits of a Low Carb Diet in Weight Loss

Professor Jeff Volek, Ohio State University talks on how restricting carbohydrates in your diet can really benefit weight-loss, and generally improve health and performance, especially if you are Type 2 Diabetic.

It's very easy to watch and understand, as someone else said most would probably buy a used car from Jeff Volek because of the way he conveys information.

13 Replies

• More and more information is coming out and the present teaching about requirement of carbs for a diabetic is being shown to be wrong.

• Very clear and informative video. My husband reversed his pre-diabetic state by cutting down his carbs, and has also been able to give up his tablets for high BP. We wondered what effect eating more fat would have on cholesterol levels, but they remain below 5.

Cutting down on carbs is one of the best health decisions we have ever made, second only to giving up smoking.

I came across this research paper linking Alzheimers with eating a high carb diet, which is another good reason to keep the carbs low!

• That's great and there is nothing better than personal experience with changes like this.

To be honest the basic cholesterol blood test offered here is believed to be waste a time by a lot of experts now because it does not provide the necessary critical data namely LDL Particle size, instead it makes too many assumption based on a generic model, possibly the only thing useful to most people and an indication of Metabolic Health is that you can glean a Triglyceride/HDL Ratio from it.

If you are eating a strict Low Carb - High Fat Diet you would expect HDL to increase, Trigs to decrease dramatically and you may well see an increase in LDL but it follows that the LDL will be Large Particle or Big 'n' Fluffy as it's often referred to and therefore not harmful to health unlike the rogue small particle LDL whose cause is said to be a diet rich in................. sugar/carbs

• Thanks OlsBean will watch this, I have already watched cereal killers and the auzzie documentary. I am type 1 and have been force fed carbs at every meal for the last 30 years, when I lost weight last year I cut my carbs drastically to one meal a day, but accidentally as this was a way to also cut calories. Have maintained but think that reducing carbs further is the way I am going to go now. not too keen on fat other than cheese - but it has to be on biscuits! :(

• Perhaps try cooking scrambled eggs in butter, or put a little butter on freshly cooked veg. If butter is a step too far, try including some olive oil into your diet. Good luck with cutting the carbs, but perhaps research or check with your doctor if you are Type 1, as the effects on the body may be different to those with Type 2.

• I am lucky I have an insulin pump so I have a constant feed, I adjust the pump when I eat based on the amount of carbs in the meal

• Good to see you Prin.

The problem with using LCHF for weight loss is that there is really no room for cheating, because if you increase your Fat intake but fail to curb your carbs below your threshold then you create the perfect biochemical environment to drive Fat Storage and therefore weight gain. Having said that when you get it right then in beyond believe because you can lose weight whilst eating well and not feeling hungry at all and better still your body remains fully nourished.

As for Fat, I agree Penel, good quality butter is a great way to get some additional Fat into your diet but I am also a massive fan of Avocados and eat them most days now, Fresh Coconut is also another fantastic source and they are reasonably cheap also Macadamia nuts are something like 86% fat :) and unlike a lot of other nuts they have the advantage of not being too Omega 6 rich with a one of the better Omega 3 to 6 ratios compared to others.

Great blog (translated from Swedish) that you might be interested in by a lady with Type 1 following a LCHF and how it has improved her condition and life in general -

• Thanks OlsBean, I watched the clip and found it informative. I am going to read Jeff Volek book.

• Glad you found it useful, there is still a couple of days left I think where you can watch "Cereal Killers the movie" for free if you have not done so already, it's informative and reasonably entertaining (for documentary :) ), I made a post about it earlier in the week.

• I am not looking to lose weight just to maintain ideally low carb and low/mid fat diet, maybe it's not that I don't like fat years of conditioning make me say no to fat, I reckon I could go with nuts but again they are so calorific :(

• You are not alone Prin years of conditioning makes us all "Say No to Fat", at first I always found myself still drawn naturally to the low fat version of a product and I had to very conscious when shopping to avoid doing that.

Unfortunately there is not really any negotiation with this particular lifestyle change, for it to work and for the person to become a "Fat Burner" rather than a "Sugar Burner", requires the body to be in a particular biochemical state (burning Ketones as its primary fuel over Glucose), for that you need to be eating an exact ratio of macronutrients, which is a diet high in Good Quality Fat, Moderate in Protein and Low Carbohydrate, the precise ratios vary person to person and are dependent on a number of things including the level of previous metabolic damage, age, sex, activity level etc. Getting those ratios right at first is the hardest part, a lot of people find they need to keep carbs down to below 20g a day but some can go much higher and still achieve the same results. The thing that seems to trip a lot of people up is consuming too much protein and that is by far in my personal opinion the hardest part to get right, carbs are easy to remove but getting a high fat intake without overdoing protein is much trickier. If you have an excess of protein then the likelihood is that your system will convert it to Glucose via Gluconeogenesis.

As for nuts being calorific, if you get it right then the biggest change you'll notice is the satiety you'll feel, it really is noticeable and makes a huge difference, unlike a diet that is high in Carbohydrate where often you are spuriously hungry due to the effects of dips in Blood Sugar and the fact aspects of your endocrine system are untuned, you will instead only feel hungry when you are actually nutritionally hungry, this negates the need to calorie count or to be as critical about your calorie intake, because you don't end up overeating.

It's a very strange feeling not feeling hungry when you think you should :) I maintained for about a year on a standard "healthy" western diet, I did this by continuing to calorie count and by doing what some would describe as excess levels of daily exercise, I ended up having to do more and eat less each day just to maintain - but the biggest problem if I am honest, was the fact that I was often still hungry and I was having to still use a level of willpower to not overeat, which I managed but as this was then well into my 3rd year of changes, I was kind of disillusioned and worried that I would not be able to keep it up for the rest of my life, especially as I got older which lead me to try LCHF. I'm now about 9 months in since that change and now I've got it right, I feel epic, my weight for months and months has remained stable within a 2 kg range (79-81 kg), I now only run for health and pleasure 3 times a week and I feel that I eat like a king :)

I would recommend anyone wanting to go down the LCHF route to do some homework first, educate yourself, decide if it's for you, there is so much resource available now. As I've said in other posts, remember you are ultimately responsible for your own health.

Good Luck.

• Eating a low-carbohydrate diet can have benefits for both Type 2 diabetes and heart health. Dietary carbohydrate restriction has the greatest effect on decreasing blood glucose levels. However, be guided that a daily carb intake that is too low can cause you to go into starvation mode, which will cause your metabolism to slow.

• I'm not sure where you are getting that information from but that statement is misleading, I understand it to be daily CALORIE intake that is too low can cause you to go into what what some refer to as starvation mode. Yes Thyroid Function changes in someone that is consuming a diet devoid in glucose, they will have a different ration of Thyroid Hormones to someone not, they will generally have increased levels of TSH and decreased levels of T3 but rather than that being a bad things it's actually considered good and has been connected to longevity!

You may also like...