Hi everyone,

It's been a few years since I have been on here, I got so fed up of the constant "am I pregnant" posts that I decided to leave.

Anyway I am currently 34+3 with baby number 2 and found out several weeks ago I have gestational diabetes 😣. Didn't have it with my first. I have been told I will need to be induced as baby is massive! The problem is, having done my own research I feel a c section would be a much safer option for baby and me.. I know it is unlikely they will allow it unless they feel it is the best option and it's really making me anxious. I am going to make it clear at my next consultant appointment that there is to be NO forceps or suction anywhere near me but I'm now considering refusing induction full stop? Does anyone know if they would then do a section or would they wait for natural labour? The latter isn't really an option as it could have severe consequences.

Any and all ideas/suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance


11 Replies

  • My friend had gestational diabetes and she had a c-section. I think it's down to which health authority you are in unfortunately but I would suggest it. Go in armed with lots of research about recovery times, pro's and con's etc and they will see you mean business. Can you have a look on you authority's web site for guidance on who they say sections are recommended/not recommend for?

    Good luck and don't give up!

  • Thanks for the reply. I have looked on the website but it doesn't say anything 😕.

    I will speak to the consultant, and as you say have all my research with me. Fingers crossed time 😊

  • Hi.

    I had gestational diabetes and was warned that the baby might be big. I was induced at 38w + 1and had a 6lb 2oz boy - not big! My scans did show his weight had tailed off though. Have you had more scans done? They are pretty good at being able to tell the weight. If they think the baby is big I would insist on a c section. As the previous reply said it depend on different authorities but I am aware of a friend being offered a c section just because the baby was big (over 10lb).

    As for being induced I have learned everyone is different. I had to wait around a long time but had a very quick labour.

    Good luck


  • I would suggest you stick to your guns about a section. My baby was born in July, they knew all along he was big and although he is fine now, he got stuck when they tried to induce me. After 3 days of trying to induce me, we had shoulder dystocia which was a medical emergency and was horrific for us all. Baby ended up in ICU for a wee while as he wasnt breathing when he was born and the damage done to me to get him delivered was horrendous. The docs say size isn't the only factor in shoulder dystocia however it is a risk and with my next baby they suggested a section before I asked. The stress your feeling can be taken away by an elective section, it's your baby and should be your choice given the circumstances. I'm not someone who advocates sections, I believe nature designed us to deliver babies but when we have knowledge that complications can arise, we should act on them. I would have with my first if I'd known the risks. Good luck xx

  • Everything you have said happened to you is exactly what I'm concerned about. I had a scan at 33+3 and baby was already 5lb, I have another scan booked for 19th when I will be 36+1. I also have spd so I was alreadt concerned about the delivery before finding out I have gestational diabetes.

    The pain isn't an issue, I had my son naturally at 40+3 without pain relief and a 29 hour labour (a crazy moment I wouldn't repeat 😂) I am just genuinely concerned for my baby, and all the research I have done seems to indicate there are more risks involved with induction..

    I am definitely going to push for a section at my next appointment; in the mean time I am going to hope and prayer that my little madam decides to come before any intervention is needed 😊

  • The only thing I would be aware of is the recovery time from c section especially if you have an older child. It's definitely not the easy option. It is major abdominal surgery and also carries risks. I'm sure your consultant should be able to give you all the information you need to make an informed choice.

  • I agree with this. It's a tough one though. I completely understand not wanting an induction, but that said, c sections aren't great either and they do have risks to both mum and baby, so best to research c sections as thoroughly as you can too.

    I hope the baby is born a little early before the need for either!

  • Estimating baby's weight through a scan is not accurate, there is a leeway of 2-3lb bigger or smaller. For a baby 2-3lb is a lot! I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy and was booked in to be induced at 38wks (although they didn't do it till 39wks), he was a perfectly average sized baby (8lb 5oz) despite being told he was going to be big. My health professionals, with hindsight, suspect I also had GD with my second as he was 11lb 4oz however we where told he was going to be a small baby. He was 2wks late so I was induced but it was a normal delivery without intervention.

    My options where an induction or wait for labour to begin naturally, they would not allow a c-section. However I did make clear that I did not want forseps or suction cup if intervention was required. I also made sure my partner knew my wishes and would respect them at the time if the worst was to happen.

    My research indicated that waiting for labour to begin naturally was the safest option as induction doesn't actually reduce the risk of shoulder dystopia. I had 2 children waiting for me and was due in December so opted for the induction as I didn't want to miss xmas plays.

    All you can do is chat to your consultant but bare in mind that c-sections also carry serious risk.

  • Dear Thunderbird, the NICE guidelines clearly state that you can have an elective cesarean if you wish to do so. The surgeon's job is to discourage you as much as s/he can, but persevere and you'll get there. If your surgeon refuses, the NHS must find another one that will comply (again, following the guidelines).

    After you've been informed of pros and cons, it is ultimately your decision how to give birth. Do cite what the NICE guidelines state in terms of elective cesarean sections, they cannot deny those.

    Good luck.

  • Here are the guidelines, it's not down to each health authority, and these are nation wide guidelines:

    If a woman requests a caesarean section because she's anxious about childbirth, she should be referred to a healthcare professional with expertise in providing mental health support to help address her anxiety.

    If a woman requests a caesarean section, a planned caesarean should be offered if a vaginal birth is still not an acceptable option after discussions and offers of support.

    If the obstetrician does not wish to carry out a planned caesarean, a referral should be made to an obstetrician who is willing to perform the procedure.

  • In Italy when you have gestational diabetes they don't wait. they do C section as it safer especially for the baby! i will suggest to do qa research on the web and bring that to your consultant onto the next appointment.

You may also like...