Anxiety relapse : Hi, I five years ago... - Mental Health Sup...

Mental Health Support
24,108 members14,281 posts

Anxiety relapse

Jens531
Jens531
3 Replies

Hi,

I five years ago I suffered from anxiety which lead to a nervous breakdown. I was out in 50mg or Sertraline and got through it. I feel it made me a much stronger person and I did so much in my life after it that I wouldn’t of done before.

I recently started a new job which was going well, and two weeks ago the new job got quite stressful which I knew could happen as it is the nature of the job. However it seemed to have brought back the anxiety symptoms. I battled it out and did another two shifts last week and I couldn’t bare it, when I got home I completely broke down to where I was five years ago. I’ve handed my notice in as I realise the nature of the job is not for me.

I’ve been to the doctors and he wants me to up my sertraline to 100mg, I rejected this at the time as I felt like I don’t want to let it beat me, but I realise I was wrong and last night upped it too 100mg.

I’m due back to work as casual next week, does anyone know how long the upped dose will take to work?

I can’t bear feeling like this, and feel so bad as there is people out there facing serious health conditions.

3 Replies
oldestnewest
Mazda2

Hi sorry to hear you have got your anxiety back, and that you've found holding a job down to stressful, hopefully now that you've upped your meds your begin to feel much better. Anxiety is a horrible illness to have so don't apologise for thinking other people are suffering more than you, we all suffer with each different illness.

1 like
laverdasf1000

Hi, Sorry to hear you are not feeling too good again. unfortunately the nature of the beast are the relapses that occur from time to time.

I am only on 20mg of Sertraline and it probably doesn't do much for me. However I am retired and one of the issues for me was work and the associated stress that goes with it.

My wife died nearly 3 years ago and that really sent me down as you can imagine. However with help from my GP and Cruse Bereavement Care I got through the first 3 months and although I still have bad days I am generally OK.

In my experience you may need to allow 7 to 10 days to get the full benefit of the higher dose. We are all different and you are already taking Sertraline so it may well take effect quicker.

I think that Sertraline is one of the better Anxiety and Depression medications. I think it is best to regard a larger dose as a temporary measure and with consultation with your GP reduce the dose down when you are feeling better over say 3 months.

I hope I have been of some assistance and hope you are soon feeling better.

1 like
Jens531

Thank you both.

You may also like...