Marathon Running and Race Support
776 members1,445 posts

30s, 1 min, 10 mins, 20mins, 5 k, 10k, HM, M then what?

Recent c25k to b210k convert here. I get the subtle way we transition thro the distances by doubling, but what happens when we reach half marathon, marathon level? What's the goal after 10k, hm, marathon? Faster times/pb? What's the goal after the obvious distance ones? We're getting older so a pb may last a "lifetime" so to speak! With my limited experience of runners' high I think I know the answer already but just wondered wgat peoples' thoughts were on this...

20 Replies
oldestnewest

Ultras, of course! :D

Actually, I have no clue. I was surprised I ever made it to 5k. In October last year when I staggered over my HM finish line it was 'Never again!' because I had done that and all I wanted to do was prove to myself I could do it. I have three of them on the list for this year and am contemplating a fourth. I'm not a competitive person, though, so you will get very different answers from others, I'm sure. I just want to keep running :)

2 likes

An “ultra” starts from 30 Miles. Having done one marathon, with another one booked, I would like a crack at the ultra. We like to see if we can go that bit further. Or we don’t. I quite like training, just me on the trail, but it’s not for everyone

Or we can do harder marathons like Juicy-Ju, the more extreme terrain ones. Fell running is another direction where we can dip our toe. I have done two very short fell races but would like to do more, but you can only train solo for those if you know what you are doing. There’s a lot to learn for that discipline and more expensive gear. I prefer travelling light to be honest 😁

Just relax with your running and see where it takes you 🙂

2 likes

I have thought about orienteering as that is quiet big here in Finland - some of the events quite long. So distance/endurance at one end and maybe trying to run shorter distances faster pbs at the other? One idea I also have cooking at the back of my mind is to combine my hiking and running pursuits to do run/walk attempts at long-distance trails like the Camino de Santiago in Spain, run for a few Km, walk for a few, repeat, approx 30 days at 25-30km/day.

3 likes

Now that sounds like a fab plan.

1 like

Coughs *triathlon* :)

I'm doing an ultra this year, the 100k London2Brighton. And actually I have been pondering your question a lot recently. I had a three year plan which culminates in the Grand Tour of Skiddaw ultra in 2019 - but that's getting closer! I like triathlon, and therefore have vague ideas about Iron Man, but suspect that might be beyond me! I don't really enjoy running fast, it makes me feel sick! I like booking races (7 this year) because they give me a goal to work towards, but I'm starting to wonder if this is a sustainable habit - the financial and time costs are prohibitive. I like the feeling of getting fitter and stronger, and I'm thinking that maybe just setting up personal tasks to do in my own time will be the way forward...

Dunno :)

3 likes

I'm an ex-cyclist so the running and cycling bits would be no problem. Issue would be my swimming, have not done much in that Dept since school 1 mile certificate!

1 like

... said the majority of people who go for triathlon :D

1 like

My brother-in-law is an ex water polo player and keen cyclist who does triathlons. His problem is the running bit! (Runs like acyclist (all thighs))

1 like

I believe that going into it as a runner gives one an advantage :)

I'm not sure what it would be like doing the swimming part in Finland though? Maybe a bit cold... Actually I found it pretty cold here!

1 like

Ooh, I've been looking at the Iron Man Finland website! Ooh!!!

Huh, same water temps as the UK :D

1 like

Yep. Lakes are shallow and warm up quite warm with 20hrs of sunshine ;-)

1 like

Doh! :)

Tonight, I will be running my first event of 2018... 5 mile trail race through forests in the dark with a few hundred other people.. Head torches compulsory! Pace and times are irrelevant... Having fun goes without saying 😁

Another thing to try are 6/12 or even 24 hour events.. I've done a couple and really do challenge you (50k+each)

There's always something new to try if you don't fancy the local 10k/HM.

PS... I'm 57 and only been running a few years.. So not just for the youngsters.

Happy running 😁

2 likes

24hrs! Yikes! Reminds me of my dad who used to do the BBAR Brit Championship Best All-rounder cycling (25, 50, 100 km, 12 hr and 24hr) . I used to have set up a bath station and camp bed at side if the road for the 24hr event (he swore by a 15 min snooze halfway through and actually fell asleep in about 15 seconds often! Quite un nerving).

In my case, I think distance-wise it'll be marathons and HMs for me - we'll say what I say after London. I guess the real challenge would be to learn to race on proper trails. Considering how difficult I found September's 7K, that's probably where I should focus my efforts instead of focusing on distance. We'll see... Improving on HM times really interests me.

Lordi - have you heard that parkrun is coming to Helsinki? I received an e-mail about it yesterday, since I get the parkrun Nordic newsletter.

1 like

No, I didn't know that! That will be great come the springtime!

1 like

I would say just take it as it comes. I did exactly the progression you mentioned and ended up doing ultra distance obstacle races and extreme terrain etc. Looking back I am not sure why I became so obsessed with continually adding distance/difficulty. The increase in enjoyment was not commensurate to the added distance.

en

2 likes

My targets have fallen into 3 zones

:1. improving 5k - which I can’t at the moment due to injury management .

2. New adventures- I am signed up for the Snowdonia marathon in Dec

3. Getting a stronger body.

Eve Rhône is different and I suggest you will find your way as your running journey progresses 😎

1 like

You mentioned orienteering. I do a bit of orienteering and would thoroughly recommend it. I love the excuse it gives me to run around the woods like a child: not having to stick to the paths, jumping over or splashing through puddles and mud. I go orienteering about once a month so can easily fit it in without it impacting on whatever training plan I'm doing at the time. Orienteers are a friendly bunch.

1 like

Incidentally, has anyone on here ever walked (or run sections of) the Camino de Santiago in Spain? The reason I am thinking running parts of this trail is I know it well from my hiking exploits and it is supremely well set-up in terms of accommodation (hostels) and services (cafes n bars) every 5-10km for 800km. I may take my running gear next time I walk it so have option to run last 5, 10km (or a bit more depending on fitness) every otherday. i.e walk 20, run 5 or 10km. Depends on time of year though (has to be early spring or late autumn due to temps etc.

You may also like...