Log in
22,361 members17,758 posts

Could this be lupus ?

Hi, thank you first of all to anyone reading this post. I am new to this forum and I have not been diagnosed with this condition, but more and more I think it is a possibility that I may have it. The past few years I have been unable to sit in sunlight, and on return from summer holidays I itch uncontrollably for months afterwards,(previously was always able to sit in the sun no problem). No doctor has been able to answer why this is happening. Had a particularly bad time 6 years ago having gall bladder removed, I hemorrhaged after the op and nearly died. Was left with diaphragm and breathing problems, not to mention bowel problems ! I pick up every bug going and always seem to need months of antibiotics before I recover. This never used to happen. I am now been checked for persistant blood in urine . I am very tired all the time, no amount of sleep makes me feel better. Have random joint pains also. I am beginning to feel like a right hypochondriac and its getting to the point I can't even let people know how bad I feel anymore. Is this condition easy to diagnose first of all and I would welcome some advice of how I can get tested.

5 Replies

Hello DeniseBee,

Sorry to hear you've had such a frustrating time getting to the bottom of what is wrong. One of the difficulties with diagnosing lupus and its related conditions is that it can present with a wide variety of symptoms. In my own case, it was comparatively straightforward, but even then I was at first misdiagnosed and treated as having heart failure for about 5 months.

A good starting place for you might be to read the LupusUK leaflet on symptoms and treatment here:


Hope that helps x


Denise Bee,

It is certainly possible that your symptoms could be lupus, it is very difficult to diagnose, I had it for 5 years before being diagnosed. A starting point is making a note of all symptoms and visiting a GP. He might well send you for blood tests to look at the inflammatory markers in the blood. If abnormal and higher then a referral to a rheumatologist would be in order. The rheumatologist is best placed to diagnose.


1 like

All good advice, please talk to your GP. Best wishes Kevin

1 like

Experiencing severelightheadedness


Hi DeniseBee,

Welcome to the LUPUS UK community forum. I hope that you find this a helpful place for information and support.

Are you currently just under the care of your GP or are you being investigated by consultants at the hospital? Have you discussed your concern about a possible autoimmune condition being the cause of your symptoms? Do you know if you have had an antinuclear antibody (ANA) test?

If you would like more information and tips on getting a diagnosis with lupus, please take a look at our blog article here - lupusuk.org.uk/getting-diag...

If you need more information about lupus and LUPUS UK we also have a free pack which you can request or download at lupusuk.org.uk/request-info...


You may also like...