New here - looking for a specialist

Hello all, thank you for letting me join your little community :)

I've experienced an ever-increasing number of symptoms for more than ten years, and have seen several doctors from rheumatologists to anesthetists who haven't been able to come up with anything or help me.

Now my GP thinks (and I agree) that all my problems are down to an autoimmune problem, but because I am complex, local rheumatologists won't touch me. He has said that he will refer me to any clinic or consultant I want him to, but he doesn't have the time to research it for me.

So, my question is, can anyone recommend a clinic or doctor who is good with borderline/non-typical cases?

Many thanks in advance. I hope you are all having a good day.

6 Replies

Hi Curious I hope this can help I travel to Manchester Royal infirmary (a bit of travel but worth it )to see Professor Bruce who is a rheumatologist but who over a long period of time has diagnosed me with LupusSLE and has helped with problems associated with this disease and he also specialises In rheumatoid and osteoarthritis and has helped when I needed to see other consultant ie gyno, vascular and Osteoperosis at the moment . I don't know where you stay there is another specialist in Rochdale as far as I am aware and a very good arthritis consultant at Newcastle. Going to the other end of the country GuysHospital in London has a great reputation and as you have already got authorisation there will be no problem with getting a referral from your own doctor as these specialists need referral from your own doctor.

hope this helps



Hi Curious7Curiouser,

Whereabouts in the country are you? I can let you know where your nearest lupus specialist is so that you can see somebody with plenty of experience.

If you need any more information about lupus/connective tissue disease, we have a free info pack that I would be happy to send you? Just send me a private message or email with your name and address.


Thank you for your replies :)

I'm in Leicestershire. I was anticipating traveling to London to see a specialist. I'll research the things you have said.

Paul, thank you for the offer. I'll bear it in mind.

Thanks again :)


Dr Hassan at the Leicester General Hospital is a specilist in lupus and so may be easier for you?


Thanks Paul. I have seen Dr Hassan in the past but haven't got on with him. I'll say no more... I'm sure he's been an excellent doctor for many people.


Hi. We are in Leicestershire too and my daughter was originally under Dr. ******* at LRI. Suffice to say we asked to be referred elsewhere! She is now under Prof Caroline Gordon and her team in Birmingham, which is one of Lupus UK's Centre of Excellence. A MUCH better experience. A bit further but well worth it (and easier parking to boot).


You may also like...