The results were not good. There was small, but continued growth in the left lung tumor and new growth in a previously stable nodule in the right lung. After reviewing all the possibilities for treatment and the very slow progression of the tumors, my oncologist and I decided on a watch and wait plan. One tumor is located very close to the aorta which makes a needle biopsy very dangerous. The other is in the lung on the same side as the breast cancer that was surgically removed three months prior to the lung surgery and could possibly be a metastasis from that, a metastasis of the lung tumor or a different tumor entirely, so even a liquid biopsy would be inconclusive. Even a needle biopsy on the right lung would not give a complete picture of what is going on. I'm between a rock and a hard place.
My oncologist feels that in view of the previous tumor having the EGFR mutation, Tarceva would be a good option in the future. We discussed the affordability issue and he felt that could be dealt with. Now I wait. This seems to be the best option at this time. At least I have four months of relative comfort to enjoy before facing the side effects of Tarceva or any other treatment if that is what is decided after the next scan.
Wish me luck.