Hi. First time posting and wanted to share my rollercoaster struggles of worrying so far. It's been more comforting reading about so many others going through the same situations and getting the best outcome eventually! I wish everyone the very best in their recoveries
My dad is currently in ICU after suffering with breathing difficulties. He tested positive for Covid-19 and was on the normal ward recieving oxygen. His condition quickly deteriorated over a week and was intubated and transferred to a ventilator in ICU and we were told that his outlook wasn't looking good and we planned for the worst. Thankfully after a few hours, he stabilised and his sats became under control. The oxygen levels were lowered gradually over the course of 2 weeks and they then lowered his sedation slightly which started his own breathing and he was eventually down to CPAP mode on the ventilator with ASB (Assisted Spontaneous Breathing, I believe) where he breathes and the machine gives a little bit of help
They tried a few days after to lower sedation and wake him, but his heart rate became erratic and blood pressure etc and was very agitated and biting on the breathing tube. They quickly sedated him and had to ventilate him again until he settled and they then were able to lower him down a little to allow for the CPAP ASB mode
They think that the tube may be making him uncomfortable and agitated so they have swapped this out after a tracheostomy, which is common after this time so I'm told. We hope that when they next try a sedation hold, that he will tollerate this better and be able to wake
They've opened a new critical care hospital so he has been transported there along with the rest of the ICU patients. They fully sedated him for the transport and had him fully ventilated
Now after 24 hours at the new hospital, he is currently still on the ventilator and they haven't felt happy to lower his setting to allow for spontaneous breathing. Perhaps they need to let him settle and stablise?
He's on a kidney filter machine and antibiotics for sputum infection
It's a bumpy ride and we've had to deal with clots being found (resolved with anti coagulation/blood thinning meds), suspected stroke (which thankfully was not present after scans). We just hope he reacts better when they try to bring him round next time. Could it just need time? We are at day 18 of ICU