Withdrawal of treatment

My dad (late 70s) is in the ICU with pneumococcal meningitis. It started as an ear infection and two GPs failed to prescribe antibiotics despite my dad's previous history of a sinus operation and subsequent bone infection (which he recovered from) He has now been in a coma for three weeks and is failing to wake up. CT scans are revealing areas of brain damage and the doctors want to withdraw treatment. He is breathing on his own with minimal support and heart rate, blood pressure stable. He is still on antibiotics. I don't think he is brain dead - he has shown a response to pain. Should we agree to withdrawal of treatment, or is there a slim chance he could recover from this?

1 Reply

oldestnewest
  • I'm very sorry to hear the situation your Dad is in. Have a look at the following information for further clarification

Is A Meaningful Recovery Possible When Your Critically Ill Loved One Is On The Brink Of Dying In Intensive Care? intensivecarehotline.com/bl...

The Difference Between “Real” And “Perceived” End Of Life Situations When Your Loved One Is Critically Ill In Intensive Care! intensivecarehotline.com/bl...

You may also like...