Thyroid results

Got my thyroid test results:

Free T4--.89 (normal 0.89-1.76ng/dL)

Reverse T3--11.6 (normal 9.2-24.1ng/dL)

TSH--1.948 (normal 0.350-5.500nIu/ml)

Triiodothyronine, free, serum--2.7 (normal 2.0-

4.4pg/ml)

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies--16 (normal 0-34 IU/ ml)

Thyroglobulin antibodies--2.4 (normal 0.0-0.9 IU/ml

I know nearly nothing about thyroid tests, especially in regard to APS

Any thoughts or comments, anybody?

Got my test results from my computer file at my doctor' group through the 'patient portal.' The endocrinologist has not contacted me so I don't think he is impressed by results and I don't have return appointment for months.

Nancy

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi

Thyroglobulin antibodies show up as high, i.e. outside normal range. You should discuss this with your Dr.

Dave

• Thanks, will check with Thyroid UK. Nancy

• Best to load them up on Thyroid UK's group on here, their admins are great with interpretation, also remember to put the reference ranges on. MaryF

• Hi ndstephens49 Thanks for your results. As has been pointed out you have high Thyroid antibodies which should be discussed with your Dr. The rest of your results show that you are low in the range of both FT3 and FT4. What this means is that you will be struggling to convert the hormone T4 into T3 in order to get it into your cells.

Unfortunately, Dr's work on a red flag system whereby unless a blood test comes up either under or over in a range it will not grab their attention and they will just assume that you are in the "normal" range. As you can see from your FT3 (Triiodothyronine) it is only 2.7 with the bottom of the range being 2.0. Really this needs to be in the top 2/3rds of the range for you to be getting enough into the cells to be useful.

Additionally your FT4 is literally on the bottom of the range and it should be nearer the top. Personally if this was me I would be going to my GP and asking for a) a prescription for some thyroid replacement medication b) a referral to an Endocrinologist.

You may have to be firm on this as for some reason GP's can have a mental block about Thyroid treatment. Please also remind them that there is a link to autoimmune thyroid disease with Hughes Syndrome so its another important reason to have this checked out and treated.

Please let us know how you get on.

• Thank you so much for your time and experience. The endocrinologist ordered these tests but must not be impressed with results. He did not call me with results. I got results from 'patient portal' on computer. I'm not due to see him again for months.

Just thinking about what I should do. Don't know if I will be able to 'do' anything.

• Call him on Monday and let him know you saw your results on the patient portal, then present your questions as others have showed concern to. Write your questions down prior to making the phone call as this way you will be prepared. If he is not available, explain you would appreciate a call back when he is. Keep your questions by the phone...Good luck!

• You know, I am such a chicken when it comes to situations like this. I know you are right. Let me see if I can get my nerve up. But, tomorrow, I am at hematologist' office all day getting intravenous immunoglobulins due to the CVID (common variable immune deficiency).

Thank you for your comments. Gives me more confidence. Nancy

You may also like...