Healthy Eating
29,418 members • 3,779 posts

Gluten free, vegetarian, with chia seed dumplings and vegetable stew 🌶

Gluten free, vegetarian, with chia seed dumplings and vegetable stew 🌶

Hi folks here's a photo of some vegetable stew with dumplings that I made for my tea tonight. Whats interesting about these dumplings is they are made with no suet and eggs instead and it works really well. I used coconut milk as I'm experimenting with that at the moment but you can just use water.

For the dumplings:

75g SR gluten free flour

1 tea spoon baking powder

1 egg

1 table spoon chia seeds

Coconut milk (just enough to turn it into a thick dough)

Seasoning I used coriander leaves and parsley.

just mix all the ingredients and then put a small round of dough on top of the boiling stew and leave to simmer for 20+ mins until cooked, they will more than double in size...

For the stew I used red onions, garlic, red pepper, mushrooms, sliced green beans and carrots, I made to much so had sweet and white posts separately.

I love meals like this, this time of year as it is a healthy/wholesome comfort food 😊

If any one would like to share what they had for their tea, then please do.

17 Replies
oldest • newest

This sounds really great, Jerry. I will have to see if I can get a few minutes to try it out!😀

1 like

Thank you, it beats using suet too...🙂

1 like

Awe! It’s perfect!😀👍

1 like

Hi Jerry,

This looks really good! Like you say, healthy and wholesome comforting food. Yum!

I had the remainder of my vegetable and bean casserole and I had some chicken with it - I really enjoyed it. I usually enjoy 25g of dark chocolate (with raisins and nuts in it) with a cup of coffee afterwards. :-)

Enjoy your evening!

Zest :-)

2 likes

Thanks, I eat dark chocolate sometimes too 🍫 so good for you 🙂 enjoy your evening too.

2 likes

Do you have the chocolate mixed in trail mix?

Hi there, whats the trail mix please?

Trail mix is a snack like item. You can add nuts with raisins and other items., Jerry.

1 like

That sounds nice...

1 like

It’s really good, but you have to put what you can eat mixed in! I don’t buy premade trail mix.

That looks great, as well as veggie! I love chillies! :)

3 likes

Hey thanks, the link about chiles is interesting and they're right eating chiles gives us a warm sense of well being...and I like that 😊

Yummy, that looks lovely Jerry. I don't normally like dumplings but looking at the ones you have made without suet might actually change my mind :)

Alicia

1 like

That looks lovely Jerry. I love a stew and dumplings. I will try this recipe when my foots better because my Gluten Free Dumblings turn out like boulders

1 like

Hi! That looks really tasty. May I ask why you don't use suet in the dumplings?

1 like

Hi Bong, thanks and the reason I don't use suet is I'm a coeliac and lots of suet is dried and mixed with wheat flour to make it more stable.

1 like

I see why that would be problematic for you.. Last time I tried dumplings without suet they sank and turned into inedible gloop. Nasty. I will give your recipe a go. Many thanks! 🙂

1 like

You may also like...