Hi, I'm desperately looking for some advice or guidance relating to my peripheral neuropathy.
Due to a new system at our local doctor's surgery it is very tricky to get answers to what to me seems like a complex problem.
I was vaguely diagnosed with alcoholic neuropathy a couple of months ago over the phone (even though he said I didn't drink enough). The doc prescribed high dose B Vitamins and told to reduce alcohol consumption and see if I improved. I did seem to improve but I wouldn't say that it has been consistent and I feel as though this has been going on for maybe much longer than I realised but that I did not connect any of the symptoms together. It seems to me that I get phases when the symptoms are much worse and cannot necessarily be attributed to external causes.
Symptoms present as follows:
- PN in form of tingling and buzzing in hands, feet and other areas. Also weakness in hands and arms especially in the morning causing difficulty with fine motor skills.
- Seemingly blocked ears, tinnitus, pressure/whooshing blood near ears.
- Foggy head, inability to concentrate, frustration and anger.
- Inability to get out of bed without a long spell waking up and gaining strength.
- Rapid hair loss
- When it get's it's worst a spell where I feel as though I will faint (including weakness and fever) even if I have eaten well that day. Eating alleviates this.
- I have had a scaly purple tingling rash on my hand followed by permanent numbness of the skin on two separate occasions. The rash never lasted long enough for the doctor to see.
I have had numerous blood tests including but not limited to: Thyroid function, iron levels, B12 deficiency, Lyme disease, Lupus (maybe more, I must ask the doc for whole list). All tests have come back fine and I continue to take supplements including Niacin, Thiamin and Iron. I take no other medication other than paracetamol. I drink a small amount of beer or cider almost every night and have done for years. I am in my 20's, eat a healthy veg-heavy diet and have a 2 year old child.
Research is taking me 'round and round in circles and I simply want to know if others have experienced a similar pattern so I might be able to steer my research and try and make sense of it!
Thank you for taking the time to read!