Fibromyalgia Action UK
41,404 members53,506 posts

found this artical on another site, bit of a long read, but whats your thoughts ???

Tai chi is as good as - or even better than - aerobic exercise for aiding people with the chronic pain condition fibromyalgia, a study has suggested. The US trial of 226 adults with the condition showed that those who practised the martial art improved significantly more than those doing aerobic exercise over a 24-week period. Its low-impact movements mean people of any age or fitness level can take part. Aerobic exercise is currently a standard treatment for the condition.

edited by admin If you would like to read this in full Please PM member for the link thank you.

6 Replies
oldestnewest

I have been doing Tai Chi for many years an believe it keeps me mobile, anyone wanting to take up exercise must take guidance though as it isn't for everyone xx

2 likes

Good article,i agree with Des Quinn and Lou.i use to do Tai chi when I was younger now I think I should try again but this time doing some of it in a chair. Then work my way to standing😋. Chris

Tai Chi is a wonderful mind/ body therapy that can suit just about every level of fitness.

It is not something that can be done watching youtube or on a DVD however. A good experienced teacher is essential.

Dee

Many thanks for the replies , its never been something i'd have considered before, but it's making me think about it in a more positive way, anything to help with fibromyalgia conditions

I tried Qi Qing, which is a form of Tai Chi, which I found easier than Tai Chi. Although it does also depend on teacher. I do a little and sit down, get up few minutes later, and do that throughout, as I can stand for long.

Hi there. I am trying Tai Chi this week for the 1st time on the recommendation of my Rhumatologist. Not as a magic cure but something that will help keep body & soul going. I have been in contact with the instructor and getting very positive vibes from him. I will update on here to let you know how it goes.

You may also like...