Need advice

At the age of 51(next week) I suddenly find myself single and homeless after 11 years with my partner.

I have been trying to find out what benefits I can claim but seem to be getting nowhere. I work part time but my health situation won't let me work full time, so I don't qualify for job seekers, or income support. I was claiming esa but because I hadn't worked the previous year,I hadn't paid enough national insurance do got no payments and want ill enough to get dla/pip.

I have put a new claim in for esa, as my situation has definitely changed, and have been told to try for pip again, because now I can add depression to my list!

I can't claim housing benefit because I don't have an address to claim forand I'm terrified about what's going to happen to me and where I'm going to live.

I'm still living at my ex-partners house (with him) which it's not doing me any good.

I don't know where to go from here.

It's there any thing else I can try?

Are there any organisations that could help people with illness to find low cost housingour anything? And are there any organisations who could help me sort out benefits?

I've tried c a b and the job centre but keep being passed on to other people.

I am really scared about how I'm supposed to live.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks x

14 Replies

  • Hi Jane64

    I am so very sorry to read of your predicament and I would urge you to contact Social Services and ask for help from them. They may be able to put you in contact with housing associations or private landlords that can accommodate you whilst awaiting the local council to fund your new housing.

    I would also put in for as many different benefits as you can including PIP and ESA and worry about whether you will qualify for them or not when the time comes for an assessment.

    I want to genuinely and sincerely wish you all the very best of luck with finding a new home to call your own.

    All my hopes and dreams for you


  • Can I just add Shelter onto the excellent advice from


  • Hi Jane, I'm Mags & I recently turned 52. I found myself in a similar homeless situation as yourself, that was 5 years ago. I phone Women's Aid who were fantastic. I lady came to meet up with me, at a time and place which suited me. We talked for a while about my circumstances, then she drove me to my local housing office and sat with me during an interview with the housing officer. She helped me explain my situation and they accepted that I was homeless, even though I was still in the marital home. I left a marriage of 26 years, my 2 daughters came with me and my son stayed on with his Dad. My daughters were aged 13 & 21 then & my son was 23 or 24. I live in Belfast but I am sure all Women's Aid work the same way. I got rehoused with in 4 to 5 months. I'm sure you could also get some help too. Have you children too as that will help to get you priorty status? As for ESA... I had a lot of problems with them over these years BUT I never give in to them... You have to stand your ground and fight back. Go to a different C A B office if you are not getting any where with the other one. Hope this helps. Take care, Mags x

  • Hi Mags,

    Thank you for your reply, you've given me some good information. I'll definitely look up women's aid.

    I do have two children but they are 22 and 20 now, one lives with his father and the other is at university.

    Thanks again, you've certainly given me some hope :) xxx

  • Hi Jane, I know it's hard but you will get through this.. Us women are tough! Please let us know how you get on. We are all rooting for you. In my thoughts & prayers, Mags xx

  • Thank you Ken and Ian, for the advice. But also thank you all so much for taking the time to read and answer my questions. I can't tell you how much your support is appreciated. I don't feel quite so some now! Thanks xxx

  • I can add nothing to the suggestions, it looks like all bases have been covered though I'm surprised CAB cant help.

    I hope you will accept moral support. You're in a really tough situation and I hope you soon get a solution. Good luck :)

  • Wishing you well.


  • Thank you all for your helpful advice and your valuable support. It's good to know I'm not alone and that help and support are there for people when it's needed. I've not been on this site for a while but I'm glad to be back. I love this site and the people who care. Thank you, and if I can offer support our advice to anyone, I'll be happy to help. Big hugs to all xx

  • Hi Jane64,

    I think Women's Aid is an exceptional organisation as is Shelter and both will give you excellent advice. Another organisation to try is Turn2us who give some really good advice about other sources of free help and advice in your area - especially in relation to your housing and finances.

    You didn't mention if you were married to your partner. I know it sounds very 'odd' in this day and age to ask but in reality, many don't realise how much difference there is in the support received by married women as opposed to those who are in 'de facto' relationships. It will also impact on what you can claim if your finances are tied to his.

    Finally, don't forget that the 'interweb' is a source of infinite information. Just type in your situation - in brief, don't forget to include the fact that you're in the uk and watch the information come up - there's bound to be others who have gone through similar situations and perhaps blogged about it. You may actually need legal representation so do keep that in the back of your mind.

    I really hope things work out for you at this very difficult time. Do protect yourself as much as possible. We're all rooting for you.

  • Thank you Raykau, I'm overwhelmed by the support I'm getting from lovely people on here. I think that this had been part of the problem, that I felt so alone, but with knowing there are people willing to help someone they don't even know is amazing.. I'm truly thankful for all your advice. Xx

  • Hi, Turn2Us Charity may be able to help and check what benefits to apply for. Shelter as mentioned above as specializing in housing. Also meeting with someone from the Council, Homelessness Section to discuss situation, Shelter can advise on this too and even organise an appointment for you. Step by step you will get there. Sorry about your situation, your options and choices will unfold as you receive more support and information.


  • Thank you Alice. I'm already feeling more positive and am following some of the advice given. I know it's not going to happen over night, but I also know I get through this. Thank you got your support xx

  • Hi jane64 so sorry to hear about your situation. But as many have said there is a way through. In terms of benefits can I also suggest the website benefits and work. They have helped many people to wade through the awful benefits forms. I am fairly new here myself but have found much support from everyone. Goid luck hun x

    Jo x

You may also like...