Fibromyalgia Action UK


Hi does anyone know about how many hour do I have to put for my husband to care for me, as he has to help me now a part of daily chores. I am unable to have a shower on my own, cook my meal, hover the house nor driving or shopping, I understand that if he applies for carer allowance they will take a part of my allowance is that right, can any one explain this to me please and how long would that take? Ken or Daisy do you know anything about it?, THANK YOU....

6 Replies

When I was caring for Mum and Dad the requirement was said to be a minim of 40hrs a week.

The actual time it took out of my life was 24hrs a day -7 days a week, It is caring, not a job.

It is not just the time it takes to help you dress or wash or cook food,, it is keeping a house and seeing to your needs.

Your husband is not someone who comes in for 15 mins to assist you to the toilet and then goes to see to the lady next door.

I think you should look at it in a less mathematical way.

Best Wishes, Ray


I think it is your husband that claims carers allowance not you.

Ken is off line at the moment but he posted the following link for someone else, hope it helps

3. Eligibility


You might be able to get Carer’s Allowance if all of the following apply:

you’re 16 or over

you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone

have been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years

you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces

you’re not in full time education or studying for more than 21 hours a week

you earn less than £102 a week (after taxes, care costs while you’re at work and 50% of what you pay into your pension)

The rules are different in Northern Ireland.


I'm a carer to my husband, I think from what you say that it will be taken as read that he is your full time carer. xx


Thought this might be useful for you:-

Can I claim it?

To claim Carer's Allowance, you must:

spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a disabled person - you don't have to live with them

care for someone who receives the higher- or middle-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance, either rate of Personal Independence Payment daily living component, or any rate of Attendance Allowance

not earn more than £102 a week (after deductions)

not be in full-time education.

If you're under pension age, you'll also get National Insurance credits each week towards your pension.

Carer's Allowance may not be paid if you're receiving a State Pension or certain other benefits, but it's still worth claiming because you could get extra Pension Credit and/or Housing Benefit.

If you're claiming Universal Credit, you may be able to get an extra amount because of your caring role without having to apply for Carer's Allowance. This is known as a carer element. However, if you're ill or disabled, you'll only be entitled to a carer element or a disability element - not both.

Carer’s Allowance can sometimes continue for short periods if you or the person you care for goes into hospital, or if you have a break from caring.

Why don't you have a look at Carers Uk website and then perhaps give them a ring on

0808 808 7777 if there is anything you don't understand.x


hi I think its 5 hours a day



Sorry I have been moving house so I have been offline for a week. I see that Betty67 has pasted you the details about eligibility for ICA Benefit. I want to wish you all the best of luck if you decide to apply.

All my hopes and dreams for you

Ken x


You may also like...