Can my partner get working tax credit

Hi my partner is my carer, can he claim tax credits as he was told by A4E (a part of job centre) that he was entiteled to it as he had to come off of signing on once he got carers allowance, But since we have moved in together and our money goes together we have lost £140 a week, i get dla high mobility and middle rate care,so i lost my severe dissablement,can someone help me please, suzanne

11 Replies

  • Hi suzanne53

    I sincerely hope that you and your partner are both feeling as well as you possibly can be today? I am so sorry to read that you have been left so much out of pocket by your moving in together. It depends on your personal circumstances whether or not you can claim tax credits. I have pasted you a link below about how to claim tax credits, it will tell you of the thresholds required. I have also pasted the income support link as I do not know if you are claiming this?

    I want to wish you all the best of luck and hope that you can find some resolution and relief to this situation.

    All my hopes and dreams for you

    Ken x

  • hi suzanne, I was trying to find you some links, but see that ken has pasted some.

    if you ring your local council and ask for a welfare benefits advisor, call the CAB or AgeUK, they can all advise you.



  • Unfortunately the rules do not allow people who care to claim two are classed as incapacitated but not classed as a working person. If you work as the disabled person then you only need to work 16 hrs and if you have children in child care your partner would not be deemed able to work or made to work to qualify for assistance towards child are. Hope this helps xxxx

  • Should say WTC sorry xx

  • Hi Suzanne

    I'm in the same boat as you - when I was living with my parents a year ago I was classed as an independent person and was entitled to ESA. Now I live with with my partner he is working full time & just over the wage limit, we don't get any financial help or benefits. So we are down £100 a week and I have no money of my own, I have to ask my partner for everything. Luckily he accepts this is just how it is and it doesn't put a great strain on our relationship. It just irks me that I was an independent adult but now the DWP are treating me like a child, I have nothing of my own.

    Take care xx

  • Hi Suzanne... Yes I am exactly the same I have had my ESA stopped as my partner works and gets over the wage limit... Its so unfair !! I like you have suffered after working full time for 35yrs x

  • Hi

    Thank you so much everyone for replying, hi ken no we don't get income support,apparently we don't qualify for it,we have both worked all our lives,my partner fought for this country and then you get treated like dirt,when through no fault of your own you cant work because of ill health,its so infuriating

  • I am so sorry to hear that you do not qualify for income support since you have given so much over your lifetimes! There are times when the system really doesn't feel fair.

    You would appear to be caught in the 'no mans land' of the benefit world, as if you were 65 you could claim Attendance Allowance. I think if I were you I would contact my local DWP and ask if there are any other benefits out there that you could try and claim?

    I want to wish you all the best of luck with this.

    Ken x

  • Hi my partner gets cares allowance and I high rate mob and care dla,my husband gets income support for us so I am sure you are entitled to income support I would claim if I were you ,that's so long as your husband doesn't work ?

  • hi sylvo thank you for replying,i cant work ,I do get esa ,but I get a lot less money than when I was on my own, can my partner put in for income support still .

  • I forgot to mention we are both 60 years old.

You may also like...