driving lessons

ive just been awarded full rate pip both components after 54 weeks i find it hard to drive because of the gear changing and all the pain i have i wanted to ask if anybody knows weather i can get my wife free driving lessons so she can take me to doctors hospital and anywhere i need to go a friend told me that the dwp did it for his mum and dad but they were getting dla now its changed to pip i carnt seem to find any advice on the net i would be greatfull if anybody can help

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I don't know anything about that, but have you considered an automatic with adapted hand controls?

• Hi jakethemus

I hope that you are feeling well today? I have pasted you a link to the NHS UK page on Carers Direct, as carers have legal rights and are entitled to money for looking after a disabled person. The link gives you lots of information about entitlement.

nhs.uk/CarersDirect/carersl...

I have also pasted you a link from the GOV.UK site about how to claim carers allowance. So, your wife can claim money for being your carer.

gov.uk/carers-allowance/how...

With this, your wife will be able to take driving lessons and have them paid for by using this benefit. I genuinely hope that this helps answer your question?

I want to wish you and your wife all the best of luck.

All my hopes and dreams for you

Ken

• thank you but my wife is unable to claim care allowence for me because she gets it for our disabled granddaughter who lives with us

• I typed in, ...Free lessons for carers uk....and came up with a choice of sites giving info.

Sue xx

• Hi ask about "underlying carers allowance" my mum and dad in law got it for looking after each other.

• Don't know about DWP funding for your wife's lessons. It might be your lucky day if you ask nicely of local charities. I did this in 1979 and was funded by local County Disability group for 12 lessons. I passed 1st time after 8! Best of luck.

• Hi there, I wondered why it took 58 weeks to get PIP.

• the system wasnt tested properly before it was rolled out, so now they have backlogs on top of backlogs. thats the short answer.

hugs sue xx

You may also like...