Fertility + laparoscopy - what happens next?

I had a laparoscopy in March and they discovered mild endo mainly around the bowel but also on the uterus, which was lasered off. Recovery was fine, and my periods have been a little better and pain during the month has all but disappeared.

We having been continuing to try to conceive since then, but no luck yet. I had a follow up appointment at the hospital at the end of June but it was really unhelpful. The consultant essential typed out what I was saying, didn't let me speak to the actual consultant (yet went to go and see him in the other room to ask a question) and then just left it at 'keep trying and sometimes putting a pillow under your bum helps.' He was even a bit embarrassed about talking about sex which is ridiculous for a gynae!

Anyway, I left feeling like I should have been offered more help. Is there any standard procedure or treatments post-lap to help with fertility?

They've said we can come back in a year to see if we are eligible for IVF but that feels a long way off, and we may not even qualify for NHS treatment.

Anyone been in a similar situation? Do we just really have to keep trying and hoping for the best?

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Have you been offered a HSG test? I recently had a lap and that done the same time? My tubes were clear but they did find stage 4 endo for me and TTC has been the hardest thing ive faced so far :( wish it was easy for us all.. best of luck to you!

• Oh yes forgot to say that, they did it at the same time and all was clear.

I'm very aware that the endo grows back so I feel like I should have some more TTC support besides 'just carry on'

• Hi there! How long have you been trying to conceive? I have endromestosis and last year October I had a lap and they removed adhesions from a previous op and my tubes were checked and they were clear. I was then given 3 months to try naturally and nothing happened. So in my appointment in February I was offered 4 iui treatments on the nhs as they felt like I could conceive and my endromestosis shouldn't affect it. But after two failed iui's in Feb and may I was then told to move on to ivf. I have my first ivf appointment next month. So am praying I have my treatment before the year ends. I would push for iui if your endromestosis is mild. Also try joining the infertility forum on this site it's really good :)

• It has been two years this month. They seem to think I now don't have infertility so they've almost reset me back to square one before they consider IVF. I haven't thought about IUI though, I will do some research. Thank you x

• It just seems like there are wasting time!! How old are you? I am 29 and it's going to be 2 years for me to next month. I would firm with them because on the nhs website it does say that you are eligible for ivf if you have been trying for more than 1 year.unless it's changed x

• I'm 32 so I am feeling the time go by a little! I am going to ring the clinic again and if no luck go back to the GP. thanks x

• Yes I would defo call back! Research into iui it's not painful and the injections are similar to those for ivf x

You may also like...