Log in
Endometriosis UK
42,806 members36,178 posts


I have just had my letter through with details of my first gynae appt next week and the name of my consultant.

The consultant is a women which I am happy about and her special interests are menstrual disorders, laparoscopy , general gynae amongst other things.

Do you think she will immediately think endo? I know this might be a silly question but I have seen some people saying their general gynae consultant tried to say it was something differnt because they didn't have endo as a special interest.

I hope this makes sense

2 Replies

I think that what people refer to is that endo is often misdiagnosed and misunderstood by general gynaes, not that they are looking to diagnose something else. You need to be clear about your symptoms and let her decide on the next steps, no doubt she'll want to do some further tests. It can only be officially diagnosed by a lap, hopefully she'll recommend that before discussing treatment options.

1 like

If you are in the UK, there is a protocol in place that says people who have endometriosis, should be referred to a 'Specialist Endo Clinic'. It is the case that many general gynaes do not have the training, expertise and skills, to search out all endo in all the places it can be in hidden the abdominal cavity; to recognise all the different forms of endo; and do not have the surgical expertise to remove all the endo. It depends if she is one of these, or not.

You really do need a laparoscopy to diagnose the endo, and it may be okay to have this done with a general gynae you are booked to see, but is she is not an endo specialist in a specialist clinic, then for anything more you should be referred to an 'Endo Centre' for Endo removal. Search on here for the link to these 'BSGE Centres', or look online to find your nearest one. Check with the advisors at 'Endo UK', who host this site - link at the top of this page - or read the posts on here by 'Lindle'.


You may also like...