Polycystic ovaries

Hi ladies, I have (yet another!) question! When I had my last lap back in 2011, the Dr said although there were no cysts present (one had ruptured prior to surgery), my ovaries had a polycystic appearance to them. I didn't question this until recently. Over the past 5 years I have been sent for around 8 scans, each time they've found a sizeable cyst. The most recent scans were February this year and then again in April. In February I had a 6cm loculated cyst, when I went back in April the loculated cyst had popped, but I had a 7cm simple cyst on my other ovary. Should I be worried about this and is it something I need to speak to my gyno about? Grateful for any suggestions xx

6 Replies

  • Hi - polycystic ovaries in terms of a specific condition involves small underdeveloped follicles up to 8 mm in size but yours are a lot bigger than this. You are on the mirena coil and this is associated with ovarian cysts. I should think that this is the cause. But can I ask you what is happening with regard to getting a referral to a specialist centre for your endo? You previously had it in your pouch of douglas when you had a lap 5 years or so ago and were reporting ongoing pain recently and were talking about possible bowel endo. I think it is highly likely you have endo that has not been addressed and you really should seek specialist attention as the mirena is unlikely to do anything for it.

  • Would it be best to get a referral to a specialist through my GP or through my gyno? I haven't seen my doctor recently because tbh I have lost all hope of them helping, I just keep filing my prescriptions, taking the drugs and ploughing through. You're right though, the pain has been slowly but surely getting worse and more frequent and I think I've finally had enough. I just wish I could be more assertive with doctors!

  • Where in the UK are you?

  • I'm in Ashford, Kent

  • Then as you are in England you can choose to be seen by any consultant lead team of your choice. You have signs suggestive of rectovaginal endo and should seek a referral to a centre. Have a look again at my post on the treatment pathway and how to find a centre. Take a copy of the BSGE list with you to your GP and the NHS Choices page and tell then you now wish to exercise your right to a referral to a centre of your choice. Come back if you have problems as you would need to follow through with a letter.

  • Thank you for the great advice, I'll make a doctors appointment on Monday and do what you have suggested.

You may also like...