Moderate to severe endometriosis attached to bowel

I had a laparoscopy in September to diagnose endometriosis, after trying to conceive for 2 & 1/2 yrs. the results were that it's moderate to sever and is fused to my bowel and has damaged my left tube. I saw my consultant on Friday and she has said that it would be beneficial to have the surgery to remove this as It may give me a better chance of conceiving. I'm really nervous of going for the surgery as I dnt want to end up with a colostomy bag really due to any damage that may be caused during surgery. Has anyone had surgery of this type and can tell me how theirs went? Thanks x

8 Replies

  • Hi Meggy I haven't had this done yet but due to have op in March . Having hysterectomy (due to adenomyosis) ovary removal, excision and possible bowel resection. So facing the same prospect. The chances of needing a bag are small, but a lot depends on the skill of the surgeon. I will be having a bowel surgeon there as well as my endo specialist. I hope everything goes well for you. Keep us up dated.

  • My consultant said she would support my decision if I decided to go ahead with this surgery. She has referred me for if treatment but thinks I could suffer pain if I was to concieve due to the location of the endo. She will see me again in 3 months and would like my decision. I am so unsure about what to do as I just want to concieve but also have a pain free and uncomplicated pregnancy. I guess I need to really find out from her how complicated the whole procedure could be. She did say there would be a surgeon with her aswell if I did have it done. Good luck for march. I wish you a speedy recovery and thank you for replying

  • Hi Meggy

    Moderate to severe endo is stage 3/4 and must only be dealt with in a specialist endo centre where the gynaecologists have done at least two years' advance surgical training which will make the risk of colostomy (even temporary) low. Click on my name and have a look at my post on how to find a centre.

  • Thank you very much I have looked and found a hospital in Wales which has an endometriosis centre. If I would like to be referred there would you say I need to go back to my gp and ask for a referral? I really appreciate your response thank you

  • As it impacts your bowl a colorectal surgeon will be attending. I believe this is standard for these cases. I had a similar op- my tubes were fused to my bowel, and it was a success. I was really worried about bowel perforation and having to wear a colostomy bag but the risk is very low. Take your time to find a good surgeon, BSGE centres must perform at least 3/4 surgeries like this a year to maintain their status.

    Good luck!

  • My gyne said it would be her that would do the surgery along with another surgeon on hand, this is what bothers me as I would like an endo specialist to do the surgery

  • Definetly ask for a referral to a BSGE centre. It is a tricky procedure and you need an experienced team.

  • How do you advise I go about this? Through my gp or gyne? Thank you for any advice you can give x

You may also like...