The Times: Low Carb Helps to Control Diabetes

Here’s the front of today’s The Times – fantastic news for low carb. A big pilot study of 120,000 people signed up for an online low-carb program at found big improvements in weight and blood sugars (not surprisingly). This by totally ignoring official high-carb diet advice.

Most of the Times article is behind a paywall but you can read more about it here:

•The Telegraph: Low-Carb Diet Helps Control Diabetes, New Study Suggests

•Mail Online: Thousands of diabetics adopt high-protein low-carb diet in backlash against official NHS eating plan

24 Replies

• High Carb Low Fat dietary advise is most nonsensical advice that can ever be given to a diabetic. We, Indian diabetics on LCHF diet, have been saying this since Jan 2013. Give it another two or three decades and USDA / ADA / AMA / AHA and their cousins across the globe will be forced to rethink as a result of huge number of diabetics and others ditching their guidelines.

• Low carb diet is very old theory ,diet being practiced by our ancestral s,it is new for western and others ignorant peoples .

• LCHF that we follow originated in Sweden.

~20% CARBS and 60+% Fats.

• No anup

in next 5 yrs they will have to revise their diet advice.

• They won't budge -- target for diabetes care is 1 trillion dollars. More turnover means more donations for the "experts" filled associations :)

Took them 35 years to go soft on scaremongering wrt dietary cholesterol. Likewise, another two decades for all the scaremongering against SFA to stop. It will happen. Power of internet is too great.

• It's not as simple. In the past the scientists interpreted the findings wrongly and the whole medical world took a wrong path. Now the voices of dissent have arisen against the management of diabetes and D food advises. They can't trade on this wrong path for a long time.

Frankly before i came in touch with you great guys i knew that carbs are harmful to me so i had cut down my carbs to a great extent but i dreaded fats - faulty knowledge. So i avoided fats. Coconut oil was the worst for me then but then i listened to you guys, fathomed the net and now i'm advising others to take vco et al. I was misguided but you all have put me on the right track. Thanks to you all.

• Proctor & Gamble is the FATHER of the LIE -- Coconut Oil is bad. They had to sell man made TRANS FAT -- CRISCO so spent advertising dollars to brainwash against CO/VCO.

• Sorry navinsinha

there is no right carbs for us. We can't assimilate carbs so no question of right carbs. I believe that carbs are poison for us. We should take as much less carbs as possible. I'm a vegetarian. So whatever i eat - cereals, legumes, vegetables, milk, curd etc have carbs in them - a safeguard against extreme ketoacidosis. As such also we t2d have not to worry about ka if not eating excessive uncontrolled carbs.

At present i'm on extremely ketogenic diet. Hardly any wheat roti, no rice, no sugar, pulses too very less. I take dry fruits, vegetables with cheese on them and very little snacks made from low gi and little glycemic load. Frankly feeling Different. Taking extra ghee and vco.

Really now i feel that wheat, rice and sugar are not very essential for us- for everybody. I feel a surge of energy as against feeling tired all the time

• Nutritional Ketosis is a different feeling as per Dr Peter Attia.

From metabolically deranged (on glucose dependent lifestyle) you switch to metabolically flexible (where you only switch to glucose only when needed -- else running on ketones).

Soon, I will be doing keto again. This time longer than the last time is the aim.

• Anup frankly. I have been on keto for last 3-4 days. I have stopped taking the only roti made of oats, gram, flex seed and almond flours i was taking in dinner. Although my numbers are very bad but my body sings a different tune. My body is singing pleasantly saying now it gets what it wanted for a long time. Too early to come to any enthusiastic conclusion but i have decided to continue my food plan without getting depressed by my bad numbers.

• Thank you arunkumar. You gave me a lots if inspiration to continue with my grain free diet plan

• would appreciate you outline your diet ingredients, just curiosity, purely for our inference/comprehension; grain free diet? pls mention what constitutes your diet, all 3 meals, thanks a million in advance, your info, could be of interest to all on this platform;

• Buy urine keto strips and test for ketones. It costs 3/strip for a lot of 100.

• Ok. Can ketone bodies be tested in running urine or i have to dip the strip in urine ?

• Dip for 20 to 30 seconds

trying in running urine can be messy.

• 👍

• What we need to see is how diabetes responds to this a year or two down the line. As I said, any diet compared to the stupid diet that we are forced to be on, shows immediate impact. As for long term advantage, one needs to see how drugs increase to keep the same numbers.

Cereals for me is off now, like for many on LCHF. There's nothing "Whole" in "Whole wheat" flour. GI higher than table sugar?? :)

karch , kanchan13 are two examples who failed miserably with Veganism in long term wrt diabetes.

• Next time, get your fasting and even PPBS insulin tested.

• Yes same name.

• @Navin sinha

In a Copyrighted article,HealthDayNews ( derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy and does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories. on health topics) has made the following Suggestions for more nutritious fare for better eating, courtesy of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: These are:

•Avoid diets that focus on avoiding one thing, such as sugar or fat.

•Eat more vegetables, fruits, beans, nuts, seafood, low-fat dairy and whole grains. Reduce consumption of refined grains, desserts, sweetened beverages, processed meat and red meat.

•Fill one-fourth of your plate with whole grains, one-fourth with lean proteins, and the remaining half with fruit and veggies.

•Make sure you're eating appropriate portion sizes. Choose healthier unsaturated fats.

•Limit added sugars, such as those often found in desserts, coffee, tea or yogurt. You can read details in.

• Low carb theory was/is being practiced in India form the centuries . Although these were/could not propagated due to absence of requisite platform.

See the teachings of Baba Ram dev,he teaches ancient forms of exorcises ,now ads on television globally, which was not possible earlier.which are very helpful for eradication/controlling of various diseases es. He has laths corers of his followers. From where he has taken,only from the ancient books written by our Rishi"s

The contribution of western world in this is very minimal.

• Exercises

• what was practiced in India for centuries was not low carb diet . It is reduced food intake in general . If any body eats huge and enormous quantities he was ridiculed saying he was eating like a beast.

• He may be allergic to grains

You may also like...