Diabetes India
59,618 members10,864 posts

8 Low-Carb Veggies for a Diabetes-Friendly Diet

8 Low-Carb Veggies for a Diabetes-Friendly Diet

Here is an article ("8 Low-Carb Veggies for a Diabetes-Friendly Diet", by Regina Boyle Wheeler) talking about the Low-Carb Veggies that would be helpful to a diabetic diet. Please check out the article and slide show. The website is: everydayhealth.com/type-2-d...

If you would like to see the pictures after the slide show is over, click on the "View All" button at the bottom of the screen. It will give you the eight pictures without the video/slide show. I thought it was very interesting and gave me some great ideas for the next get together I have coming up. Plus, the veggies listed can help keep the blood sugars under control very nicely.

31 Replies
oldestnewest

Excp asparagus and Brussels sprouts I take all of the rest

1 like

Shashikantiyengar

How about fenugreek seed sprouts ? How to make it. Very bitter ?

2 likes

I usually get it from godrej nature basket or hypercity.

Lasts a week.

Take a couple of teaspoon mixed with moong sprouts

1 like

we can add lauki “Bottle gourd..

fitnessvsweightloss.com/nut...

1 like

cure

Lauki. Hmm. Spikes bs

1 like

Suramo ji, Lauki also spikes bs ?, which other veggies also spike bs ?, now lauki bhi nahin khana ?

Bottle gourd/lauki does not spike. Around 3 gm net carbs /100 gm. No free/simple sugar. I regularly eat lauki.

Halwa, subji etc.

shrisamarth,

What are the halwa and subji?

Sabji is vegetable preparation.

Halwa (grated bottle gourd or carrots)is sweet dish preparation made with ghee and/or khoya (khoya means - most of the moisture is removed from the milk).

vegrecipesofindia.com/lauki...

1 like

Thank you! I plan to check out the link, as well. This will help a lot!

shrisamarth

You are right but now i have to review what i said about lauki. I think i'm wrong about lauki.

1 like

Hmmm well suramo and shrisamarth what we are comparing is just carb contents of Lauki...

But guess what??? for some ppl even raw tomato spikes... may be suramo is right that lauki spiked tro him...

For me even raw tomato spikes...

Guess each individual responds different to different food items... so regular BS check with meter is required...

1 like

Shashikantiyengar

That can be made at home. I'm asking if it's very bitter or there is some way of cooking to remove bitterness.

1 like

Not too bitter

That's why I mentioned that I mix with moong sprouts. Anyway I have now learnt to have bitters

Shashikantiyengar

Kya shashi. Sweets have gone out of life. Now you add to the punishment by adding bitterness 🐒🐒. 😁😁😁

2 likes

Bitterness sey dosti bana lo

Sweetness stevia mey hai

Shashikantiyengar

Thoda jyada ho jata hai. Bitterness 😝😝. Kadwa kha kha k dil o dimag bhi kadwa ho jata hai 😁😁😁

1 like

bhai suramo sprouting fenugreek is same as u sprout moong...

yeah its bitter..... but once u develop taste....u can consume....

we do make 'usal' of sprouted fenugreek....with dried shimps added... ver tasty....

but be careful.... if you are not used to the same.... it will give u headache...(pitta trouble)

1 like

how about ' Bharva Ringani'?? suramo

or Ringna no odo :P

cure

Excellent recipe. But we make without sugar. Still 👌👌👌👌

2 likes

cure

I can't eat fenugreek seeds. Gi problem. But shrimps ! Kya bro. Gujju ko machhali khilaaoge.

1 like

Shashikantiyengar just search local ayurveda shop or shatvari herb.... soak those sticks in water full night....

and consume them as salad... shatavari means asparagus... :P

However the variety of asparagus which is consumed in western world as vegetable is bit different....

1 like

yes... agree but onion never spikes to me...but sure tomato spikes... :(

each individual has got different reaction to different food items...

1 like

Lauki is one of the safest vegetable for everyone.

2 likes

Informative!

Thanks for posting!!

1 like

You're welcome! I will be looking for a few other things related to food and/or exercise soon.

1 like

My experience is tomato do spike many times... :(

Tomatoes do different things to different people.

1 like

cure

Yes. Esp puree. Eat whole with skin as salad. Will not spike

1 like

Lauki is good. Lauki with little pulse never spikes my sugar. I usually take this without any Chapatti at night. Thanks.

Check out this blog dietdelite.in/blog

5 Delicious High Protein Foods for Indian Vegetarians and Vegans

Proteins are vital to any living organism, an important constituent of cells and tissues. They are instrumental in maintaining the metabolic process, fighting infections and managing the daily wear-and-tear of the body. One of the most common misconceptions among non-vegetarians considering a vegetarian lifestyle is that one cannot get sufficient proteins from a purely vegetarian diet. That is not true at all. There are plenty of Indian vegetarian foods that will help you fill the daily protein need, build your body and stay healthy. Here are some vegetarian foods that pack a mean protein punch.

Sprouts and Legumes

Chickpeas, lentils, green beans, red beans, soybeans, kidney beans etc. are staple Indian foods that are rich in proteins. They are also packed with fibre, minerals like calcium iron, phosphorous and potassium; and vitamins like B1, B2 folic acid, A and D. On an average, 100g of legumes contain –18-24gms of protein. They also contain amino acids necessary for repairing the daily wear and tear of the body. Soaking and sprouting improves the nutritive value by reducing phytic acid which inhibits the absorption of other nutrients.

Pulses (Dals)

Toor dal, Urad dal, Moong dal, channa dal form an essential part of Indian gravies, sambars, rasams and also breakfast recipes such as idli and dosa. Protein-wise, a combination of dal and rice (or wheat) is all a vegetarian needs to meet his/her daily requirement. While the lentils in dal provides some essential amino acids, rice and wheat provide the remaining amino acids. Together, they form a protein perfect meal. 100g of dals gives 18-24g of protein. Dishes with lentils are easy to make and they are rich sources of fibre, minerals, and vitamins. Most of the dishes, especially staple breakfast recipes like idli, dosa etc., can also be modified to improve the nutritive value and glycemic index.

Dairy

Many of the protein rich dairy products form an essential part of the Indian cuisine. Milk, yogurt, butter, ghee and cheese and their vegan equivalent soy milk and soy yogurt are rich sources of proteins for vegetarians. Dairy products contain whey protein and casein protein. Whey protein is easily digestible and releases instant energy for the body to function. Whereas casein protein has a slow digestibility rate, thus keeping your body satiated and energized for longer. Including curd, buttermilk in the daily food habits not only increases your protein intake but also hydrates your system along with evaluated value for lactic acid bacteria (LAB) with probiotic potential. They also provides B- Complex vitamins required for the various functions of the body.

Cottage Cheese (Paneer)

Even though we have mentioned dairy, this food deserves a special mention. Paneer, or its vegan equivalent tofu, needs no special introduction in the nutritional world. High in casein protein, low in carbohydrate, it is a slow digesting food, that keeps you satiated for longer duration and helps you burn more fat and build muscle. 100g of paneer gives 1.2 g of carbohydrate,18-20g of a protein of and a lot of calcium with satiety. It can be prepared quickly and easily. You can include it in dosa, chapati, omelette, grilled sandwiches and vegetable salads.

Quinoa

If your primary aim is to remain healthy, then quinoa must be part of your diet. It contains all the nine essential amino acids that cannot be produced by the body. It is a great source of energy and keeps you going longer during those strenuous workouts. It can be cooked just like rice and is an ideal pre-workout snack mixed along with salads.

They also sell food for Diabetics .Check out dietdelite.in/

You may also like...