Confused!!!

Hi

I am new here.I am here for help for my husband.he is 34 and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol levels 5 months ago.I don't know anything about how to control his food.we are using less oil n low carb food too.but i have no idea if i am doing it right.he has been working out all his life.he's on medication now which is messing up he stomach big time.can some one help me....I got a lil idea abt lchf but what abt high cholestrol,how can he have high fat with high cholesterol levels.pls explain,pls be patient,we r new to this whole concept.

I'm giving below his latest report values.

Hba1c 7.1

Abg 157

Hdl 28

Ldl 156

Triglycerides 251

Fasting plasma glucose 115

Post lunch 198

Though I don't have an idea what these mean I am posting so that someone helps me understand.all I know is its not good.

This condition is affecting him big time,he has lost interest in food n exercise and is upset all the time.he doesn't like taking medication and its upsetting his stomach

Pls help so we have a better life for our kids.....

Tnx

S

47 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Diabetes, Conked Off LIPIDS and Hypertension go hand in hand.

Switch to LCHF diet.

(1) LIPIDS will fix. TG 250+ shows how horrible the Stupid HIGH CARB LOW FAT diet is.

(2) BP should also normalize over a period of 6-9 months hopefully.

(3) High Carb and Exercise is useless. Doesn't protect the heart in diabetics.

(4) TG/HDL ~6 is horrible. Need to get TG to 100 as first step

(5) SFA (saturated fat) On LCHF will increase HDL. Hope he is non smoker.

You just can't have low Carb and Low fat food. Low Fat food will only make matters worse as time passes because Low fat = High carbs

• He doesn't smoke or booze.he takes methi water on empty stomach n raw lime juice cz someone told him its good to lower cholesterol.I'm not sure if anything will work

• Methi and all is useless. TG will not lower even if one eats truckload of methi if diet is HIGH CARB LOW FAT nonsense.

Diet is the key and LCHF works. 500+ Indian diabetics on LCHF can't be wrong. They have proved how horrible the mainstream suggestions are wrt diabetes management.

• The first thing to accept is that cholesterol is a non issue when compared to the mess your husband is in at present. Indeed fear of cholesterol is probably got him to where he is now. There is not a jot of scientific evidence that high cholesterol levels are of any concern, indeed the converse is true in that Alzheimer's is now being viewed as LACK of cholesterol in the brain for the poor old souls who have stopped eating butter etc.

Go here and get him living again:

dietdoctor.com/diabetes

• Thank you sir!

• Madam: Don't worry. LCHF will work and in few months diabetes, lipids and hypertension will get resolved.

Breakfast: Salad + one roti with ample ghee+ 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oli+ 1-2 cubes of cheese + 2 eggs if you take eggs+ some moong sprouts.

Also 1-2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar (with mother variety) before food will help slow down absorption of carbohydrates.

Mid meals some nuts and seeds like walnut, badam, sunflower seeds, punkin seeds.

Lunch one chappati with ghee and veg.

Eve one small apple.

Night one small chappati and veg.

Use less oil as all oils (Excp coconut oil and olive oil) are junk oils.

Keep giving apple cider vinegar before breakfast and dinner.

Before bedtime half cup hot milk with a tsp of turmeric + 1/2 or one tsp of cow ghee.

Above will get his hba1c to around 5.5 or lower.

Can have raw juice of karela + Amla every morning.

Prepare diabetes powder at home with methi seeds+jamun powder + a pince of cinnamon.

Also can give him aloe Vera juice in morning with karela Amla juice.

Have these daily.

Increase fat like butter, ghee, VCO where possible.

All will get resolved.

I my self take a above.

My hba1c came down from 7.2 to 5.4 in 3 montsh time.

All the best.

• Thank you sir for your kind response.we have stopped taking ghee and other fatty products including red meat.he doesn't like taking anything which says fat.I use olive oil for him.I will surely try the diabetes powder n other meal plans.thank you for your effort once agn.its like a ray of hope!

Mrs s.

• Then he should be prepared to be on insulin by the time he is 50. If not now, he will surely change his mind about FAT then. Besides, hypertension and lipids will worsen so drugs will be needed for that too. No powder will give license to eat HIGH CARBS LOW FAT.

Oilve oil for cooking is a marketing HYPE. Olive oil should only be used for salad dressing and not for cooking.

Cholesterol gets bad because of CARBS and not because of FAT. Doctors LIE full time as that's what makes the drugs sell.

• I will try the lchf diet anupji....m from south India.will gather as much info n implement.my hubby likes to eat rice m hates rotis butnow hhe's starving himself eating neither properly.he has lost lot of weight and gets tired very easily which was not the case before! Hope lchf works for him....but first I HV make him eat fatty food which will b tough.

• HCLF diet will make him feel even more hungry. With diabetics the situation gets even worse with insulin spikes and crashes leading to more hunger. On my forum -- dedicated to LCHF only, there are many south Indians who have switched to LCHF diet and enjoying diabetes for as long as 4 years with normal choelsterol, normal blood sugars (almost same as non diabetics) with least dependence on drugs and no hunger pangs. In fact, many of us can skip one meal without effort as LCHF doesn't push us towards persistent hunger. It kills hunger in good way.

Link to forum you will find n my profile

healthunlocked.com/anup

• Question: can we stop medication completely once on lchf diet?

• Many have. Diabetics have reduced insulin from 70 to 20 and yet lands far better numbers. arunkumar with 25 years of history has reduced drugs by 75%. Bhaskaran Pillai is off drugs despite 20+ years of diabetes history. Huge number of cases like these. But, all on LCHF diet.

Within first week, one 108 kg diabetic removed oral pills worth rs 3000/Month. Here's his case story running into 14 pages. Has lost 5kg in 5 months. 15 more to go before we take a look at reducing other oral pills. Hunger pangs are gone:

forums.dlife.in/threads/lch...

• Madam:

The powder suggested works best with LCHF

If he takes high carbs then his doses will keep increasing gradually.

Please remember that the diet of lchf is the best for getting quick and sustained lowering effects.

• If he likes rice then better give him brown rice.

Stop white rice. But limit the qty of brown rice.

Prepare dal kichidi with less brown rice and more of moong ot sprouted moong. Add ample qty of ghee in this.

He may like it.

Prepare lots of vegs like bhindi, tendli, etc which he can have as much as he wants.

• Can he have coconut and red meat? Is deep fried food OK once in a while.sorry for being so lame!

• Red meat minimal.

Eggs and Chicken are best.

200 meals are posted -- real meals as taken by diabetics on LCHF.

• Can give fired in coconut oil

• Can give him coconut freely.

• Coconut is sweet so we r avoiding it.I also read somewhere using sugarfree tablets is not good.any idea? I currently use them for his tea,coffee n milk intakes.

• Diabetes is not about "SWEETNESS". It's about not being able to handle carbs. So forget about SWEET and start counting carbs/fat/protein in diet.

healthunlocked.com/lchf-die...

healthunlocked.com/diabetes...

Artificial sweeteners worse than table sugar.

• I have gone through few of ur links abt south Indian food.I got an idea now.shouldn't we avoid sugar n sweets completely?

• Spend time on that forum. You will have all the answers.

Mother of a 10 year old type 1 daughter posted her experience on LCHF. She is thrilled with insulin dose down to 1/3rd of original and control far better. She is a registered doctor herself

She is also inspired by Dr Richard Bernstien a Tpe 1 diabetic with 70 years of diabetes history and who lives on 30 grams carbs a day.

• Don't worry. I have dropped My HbA1c from 11.7 to 5.7 within 3.5 months with help of LCHF diet. Switch to LCHF diet.

• Thank you everyone.I'm so glad I found this forum.this is so encouraging.I hope I will get him to normal with lchf diet.will post details soon!

Thanks

S

• Avoid coconut water. Can give ample cocount.

Also can give stevia drops which is safe.

Available online. Link below.

wellnessmall.in/product/zin...

• Don't worry swapnajakkula.. I am just 29 years old and got diabetes at the age of 27 !!! My readings were FBS 180, PPBS 320, HbA1c - 8.9, high BP, high cholesterol levels.. I controlled the blood sugar levels with the help of low carb diet.. And within 6 months I was able to stop all the medicines for Sugar and BP.. My recent HbA1c is < 5.5.. Though I am not following strict LCHF, but will soon adopt it..

You are in the correct forum.. There are many experieced people here which have benefited from LCHF... Anup, TN_Yadav one among them..

• Thank you for the encouragement....pnglr

• I started talking LCHF on this forum in Jan 2013 after having been on LCHF for around 2 years. In around four months from then, I had lot of opposition coming and lot of personal insults and abuses hurled. Some one even called it SPECULATIVE BLOGGING.

Then once those guys managed to have me restricted here by persistent efforts, I started a forum specifically dedicated to LCHF for Indian diabetics, probably the fist Indian forum for Indian diabetics by and large, and most of the LCHF guys here moved away from as they were also facing the same jibes from ANTI LCHF propagandists.

Back here ~seven months back, after a long long hiatus, in second innings. In another 10 days, I will be completing FIFTH Year as a diabetic on ZERO drugs and yet land non diabetic numbers. In fact, many have even gone of Statin drugs and stabilized blood pressure too. Though, none of us still claim having CURED diabetes and we are enjoying the healthy way of living life as a diabetic :)

In fact, a registered doctor on our forum is now experimenting with LCHF on her 10 years old Type 1 daughter. In one month, insulin down to 1/3 of original on so called healthy diet -- High Carb ow Fat nonsense -- and sugar spikes are flatter now. Good to see that a doctor is also convinced and is sharing her real life experience on her 10 year old Type 1 daughter. LCHF adoption by Indians have come a long long way since Jan 2013. What started as one-man army is now a movement in its own right, and personal attacks and insults against LCHF have waned off. Thanks to moderators here :)

• Dear Anup,

LCHF diet is followed by many world wide. Doctors in the West are also supporting LCHF. I watched many videos on youtube related to LCHF diet.

Yesterday, i was watching Dr. Rangan Chatterjee's Video on LCHF. He is suggesting to take as much as Vegetables one wants, the carbs in the vegetables are not considered bad, but they are good for gut bacteria.

But here we always count carbs including vegetable carbs and stay under 100 grams carbs per day. This point was a bit confusing for me.

Any suggestions Anup...and other members.

• Then, eat a vegetable preparation made from 200 grams boiled potato (mix with any other veg or take as is) with one chapati and see where Sugar readings land at 1 hr and 2 hr after the first bite. Eat as much as one wants theory will not work wrt potato or even beets, carrots, green peas etc :)

• Thanks Anup,

• @Anup - carrots, green peas not okay etal or can be taken in small quantity?

• Restricted just for variety and not bulk consumption, by and large.

Also, would again depend on total carbs for the day. I eliminate chapati and eat "gajar halwa" loaded with FAT as dessert., but remove chapati from the meal :)

Or, even take Gajar Halwa in meal that's a small Sindhi Koki (a paratha sort of) with Omelet in a meal.

Like wise, you can have a dish of matar paneer with matar just in "sort-of-garnishing" quantity, if having with chapati or rice in place of chapati.

So, the bottom line -- Count Carbs Proteins and Fat, stay within LCHF band and eat whatever you want to eat :)

So LCHF is fun and not at all restrictive!

• Anup I watched few videos of Dr. Rangan Chatterjee....!!!

No where he is suggesting to go with (Butter, Ghee, VCO, Full FAT cream, Cheese etc...). I really don't know why....?

Any suggestions Anup and others....

Below is his suggestions related to FAT...

When I say healthy, natural fat – think nuts and seeds, avocados, omega 3 fats (found in almonds, flax seed and cold water fish, like wild salmon, herring, mackerel and tuna), extra virgin olive oil and whole eggs.

• You can follow him and see how good it turns out for you. I can't discuss everyone here. Sorry no time for that.

• For your quick information.. as example

100 grams of cabbage has 6 g carbs

100 grams of onions has 9 g carbs

100 grams of tomatoes has 4 g carbs

count carbs prepare vegetables, add Ghee, Paneer, full fat cream, butter, coconut and other FATS along with vegetables. one will not feel hungry for long hours..

I have seriously started LCHF Diet since yesterday (Maximum 100 gram Carbs daily)

I feel fantastic.

I am diabetic type 2, with no medicine and very little walking...

Good Luck

• Thanx a lot for info.

• Good work on finally learning counting carbs/fat/proteins as that's the first step toward LCHF. Counting by referring to site won't be needed lifelong. Within 3 or 4 weeks, entire menu you would mentally know roughly how much of carbs it has. For example, I know i cannot afford to have ore than two 40 grams chapati a day. If rice needed, then chapati eliminated.

If I need to enjoy load of pizza, full day fasting is the way to go for me. Simple. Skipping a meal without any effort is normal routine for me. No breakfast usually. I can have a lunch of even 5 or 6 idlis or a paper masala dosa loaded with masala of cauliflower, mushrooms, paneer, cheese, bell pepper, boiled peanuts, coconut gratings and made in butter, and even then not spike beyond 140. Back of my head I know what carbs load I am ingesting for the day. So, I am just managing to stay in NON DIABETIC range and not claim being CURED because the moment i ingest 75 grams glucose (OGTT) my PEAK spike to 230+, though I get back to 120 in 2nd hr :)

Unless one starts with the first step of counting, adopting LCHF will be a shot in the dark. One month work is all that it needs and then no more visiting sites for counting carbs/fat/protein. After that it's just keeping a watch on PPBS rigorously.

• Quick question: how to calculate carbs from vegetables and other food sources?

• One of my earlier post will help you -

healthunlocked.com/diabetes...

• easy way is to search on google.

• I always referred to fatsecret.com/ during the initial days. Now that meals are almost fixed, I don't even refer to it, unless there's something new as input.

• Thank you the encouragement everyone! Discussed with my hubby yesterday who is more than ready to start LCHF diet right now.( see our desperation)....to get back to normal life! I have a of learning to do about carbs,protein and fat and plan his meals accordingly.going thru lot of stuff right now.

I am happy to have found this forum.Hope we will get back to normal in a few months.any ideas are welcome!

Mrs.S

• Dear swapna, First of all don't fall in panic believe in Allah, Bhagwan, ishwar whatever you say. then listen/read me carefully. patient is suffering from 'fatty liver' Take one glass of water (250 ml) add half tsf of SONF (badiyan) 3 gram ginger ADRAK sticks of PODINA without leaf 12 inches total. and PAAN ka patta (leaf) one and simmer for as long as it reduced to one cup almost half of glass. and drink this after stir acquires room temperature in the morning first thing . I assure you patient will get normal reports of cholesterol . he has to restrain himself to eat beef, meet of any kind, and fat , eat veg., fruits Barley water oatmeal etc.

• Control Diet along with Medication help him to overcome..

• LCHF also helps in fatty liver

• In vegetables there are so many varieties one can use ,such as broccoli,Kerala,Peanuts,Met hi,etc.etc.,these are also hear healthy. Potatoes, banana to be avoided completely.

You may also like...