I read in Healthunlocked about one plant ( creeper) good for diabetes. In Bengal it is called Gulancha. Can anyone enlighten me about this?

One creeper called Gulancha in Bengal is supposed to be good for diabetes.In Tamil it is called something like Toggee T..... ( sorry I cannot recall). It was also written that an ayurvedic medicine containing this plant is available in Hyderabad.Can anyone help? I read about this in HealthUnlocked. But unfortunately can't find it now. I tried to find LW (MDR) here. But it is not available in Kolkata. I need and seek help.

7 Replies

Ayurveda medicinal herb - Guduchi

[Tinospora cordifolia]

GuduchiAmruthvalli / Guduchi, is a tall climbing shrub which is known to possess a number of wonderful therapeutic values through its use. This medicinal herb is a health rejuvenator which is widely known for its affectivity in enhancing natural immunity to fight against a number of illnesses such as fever, jaundice, skin diseases, constipation, tuberculosis, and leprosy. It is a blood purifier and general debility enhancer.

Sanskrit -- Amruta

Hindi Name :Giloya, Guduchi

Bengali Name :Gulancha/palo,

Tamil Name :Shindilakodi

Kannada Name :Amrita balli.

Malayalam Name:ambrithu

Panjabi Name :gilo

Bio energetics:

Rasa (Taste)- Tikta (Bitter); Kashaya (Astringent)

Guna (Characteristics)- Guru (Heavy); Snigdha (Unctuous)

Veerya (Potency)- Ushna (Warm)

Vipaka (Post digestion effect)- Madhura (Sweet)

Parts Used : Stem, leaves

Effect on Tridosha :

Pacifies all the three Doshas and maintain their balance with each other i.e. why it is said to be having Rasayana character; besides it find important place in the herbs useful in management of diseases having Tridoshic origin.when taken with Ghruta (Indian clarified butter) it balances Vata, with Guda (Jaggery) Pitta and with honey the Kapha.

Actions according to Ayurveda:

Vaya sthapana- Guduchi increases longevity

Daha prashamana- Guduchi alleviates burning sensation

Trishna nigrahana- Guduchi alleviates excessive thirst

Stanya shodhana- Guduchi purifies the breast milk

Triptighna- Guduchi alleviates anorexia making a person to feel hungry

Rasayani- Rejuvenator

Samgrahini- Means it has the tendency to absorb the liquid content from the Malas (Gastric waste) giving it normal consistency

Balya- Guduchi increases strength

Agni deepani- Guduchi ignites digestive fire

Valee palita nashini- Guduchi delays the signs of aging

Medhya- Enhances grasping power, memory and recollection ability.

Medicinal Uses:

Immune booster - Modern research shows that Guduchi is strong immunostimulant with very good anti-cytotoxic (drugs used in treating cancer) effects. The helps to reduce effects of these toxic cancer-fighting drugs, and with its immune-promoting qualities, could even prevent cancer. Another study shoes it to be effective in reducing rheumatic complications. Guduchi is an excellent herb to take as an immune booster and general tonic.

Fever - It has best febrifuge action. It is useful not only in acute fevers but also useful in chronic fevers or pyrexia of unknown origin conditions. Fresh decoction in dose of 15 ml or tab. Guduchi 250 mg. should be given 3 times day for one week.

Upper respiratory Tract Infections - It works excellent in preventing and curing all these types of Pitta condition in diseases like tonsillitis, pharyngitis, hoarseness of voice and cough and cold. Guduchi ghana tablets of 250 mg. should be given 3 times day for 7 days.

Guduchi extract shows an efficacy in relieving the problems of Arthritis because of its anti inflammatory property.

Gout - It is specific remedy in Gouty arthritis. It should be given in combination with guggul. This preparation is known as Kaishor guggul. Dose - 500 mg. twice day for one month.

Rasayana – It is excellent rasayana for diseases of rasa, rakta, meda and asthivaha channels.

Guduchi Pharmacological benefits - include; antioxidant, Hypoglycemic, Antitumor, Antibacterial, Antimicrobial, Diuretic, Hepatoprotective, Antipyretic. It is used to treat Gout, Viral Hepatitis, and general debility. The plant is used as a febrifuge. The stem and root is a valuable tonic in debilitating diseases, intermittent fever and dyspepsia.

This is an herb that can be useful as a part of our daily diet.

Medicinal Preparations - Kaishor guggul, Guduchi ghana, Guduchi churna. Amrutarishta. etc.

Today while learning and practicing Ayurveda and alternative medicine ; the knowledge of the Healing Herbs described in Ayurveda is very important.

Learning the Herbs in Ayurvedic way is very important but in today's advanced world the updates and scientific information of the Herbs is also very useful for the treatment of a diseases.

Salient features of these E-BOOKS are --

* Solid background chapters that provide essential guidance on all Herbology strategies and Ayurvedic treatment.

*Commanding coverage of the full spectrum of Herbs by region, filled with insights into all disease conditions.

* An indispensable, authoritative overview of all Herbs, including every mode of Ayurvedic treatment procedure.

*A practical look at Herbal Ayurvedic management, with an incisive examination of issues related to the monitoring of dosha conditions.

*Exact description of new and innovative techniques in Ayurvedic Therapy.

*Complete elaboration of All herbs.

Ayurvedic herbsWe are offering this ebook as an easier way to learn about the medicinal Herbs.

"Ayurvedic Herbology" is a set of 5 Volumes in E-Book form!!

If you are interested in doing ----Interactive Online Herbology Course- with certificate from International academy of Ayurveda

Contra indications (Cautions): caution during pregnancy

Useful Links

* Online Certificate Ayurveda Courses

* Ayurveda Ebooks CD's and Special Reports

* Online Personal Ayurvedic Consultation

To read interesting articles every month and to keep yourself upto date in the field of Ayurveda, Subscribe to "Ayurveda For You- IAA Newsletter"

It's Free!!

ayurvedic medicine

Online Courses

Online Consultation

Knowledge Base

About Us

Contact Us

• More on Guduchi

Himalaya Wellness

Strengthens immunity

Guduchi is an effective treatment for a wide range of fever and other infective conditions.

Helps increase the effectiveness of protective white blood cells that fight infection.

Augments immune responses to infections by influencing various immune effector cells and ensures early recovery.

Anti-infective treatment

Infections in the respiratory system, skin and soft tissues

Infected wounds especially in diabetic conditions

Immune compromised conditions

100% vegetarian.

Free from sugar, artificial colors, artificial flavors, preservatives, and gelatin.

Each tablet contains: Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) stem extract - 250mg

1-2 tablets twice daily or as directed by your physician.

Please inform your physician before consuming in the following situations:

Specific contraindications have not been identified.

Please consult your physician if symptoms persist.

Copyrights © 2015 The Himalaya Drug company

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

• Yes, It is known as AMRUTHA VALLI in Sanskrit/ Kannada. It is in the form of creeper. I am using this from past few year. I found it as very useful. It has controlled my blood sugar level. As far as my sugar level is concerned , it is quite useful. i am daily in the morning chewing 2-3 leaves in the empty stomach. My sugar level is under control.

DATED: 24-11-2015

PH: +91-7259298926

• Kindly tell where this creeper is available?

• But I cannot find it in Kolkata. One vegetable vendor showed me the stem which is brown, very thick, rough to touch , one inch in diameter. it didn't match the picture of the plant i saw on the computer. can you get it freely in the Bangalore market?

• Tinospora Cordifolia (Giloy/Guduchi/Guloncha/Amruth) is a natural immunity builder which works against many disease like Diabetes, Fever, Cancer et. etc. Regular use of this creeper is effective for control of diabetes type 2. I will suggest you two preparations with this for diabetes :

A)For control of diabetes with strengthening heart, kidney, liver :

1)Take 1 meter length of Giloy (Tinospora) remove its skin & cut into small pcs

2) Take 6 pcs (150-200grms) of Amla (Raw) and remove its seed and cut into pcs.

3) Take 100 grams of Raw Haldi (curcumin) and after removing its skin cut into small pcs.

4) Take 50 grams of good curry leaves

5) Take 50 grams of raw Punarnava leaves (Boerhevia Diffusa)

6) Take 25 grams of bhui amla - (full including its root to leaves) (Phyllanthus niruri/Keezhar nelli in Malayalam&Tamil/Bahupatra etc.)

( If Bhui Amla is not available you can use Bhel Patra)

Grind well all the above adding 1 ltr. water in a mixer grinder and keep the liquid in a bottle in fridge. This will last for 1 week.

Take 50ML of the above liquid (juice) adding 2 tsp of pure honey every day morning in empty stomach and at night atleast 1 hr. before meals. Take this juice daily twice after about 1 month you will see the sugar levels are reduced considerably.

Regulate your food intake avoiding Sugar and too much carbo hydrates.

B) For just control of diabetes:

1) Take 6 inch long of Giloy and remove its skin and cut into 1.5inches long and crush it

2) Take one ladys finger and cut into small pieces

In the evening take 200 ML of pure water and add the above two ingredients and keep it closed with a lid and in the next day morning after stirring the water remove the Crushed giloy and lady finger & drink the water in empty stomach. The water will be thick like a glue. Similarly take 200 ML water in the morning, repeating the above procedure and drink in the evening before meals that means twice daily you have to take this water. After about 1 month you will notice considerable reduction in the blood glucose level in Type 2 patients.

Continue this daily.

• in tamil it is called has Amirthavalli

You may also like...