Diabetes India

Gestational diabetes

Hi,my fasting blood sugar is 110 pp115before lunch its 76 after lunch its 133 before dinner its 80 & after its 160 m on insulin 2unit regular insulin before lunch 3 units before dinner &long acting insulin 4 unit after dinner .can anybody tell is there any harm in taking insulin to the feotus..& if doze increases can it harm .are the level of sugar tooo bad.plz tell me.

8 Replies
oldestnewest

You need to consult with a health professional.

Insulin does not cross placental barrier, so don't worry about insulin affecting the foetus.

1 like

High insulin levels from gestational diabetes can cause over-size babies that are susceptible to obesity, metabolic problems and associated ill-health.

Actually it is high levels of maternal blood glucose which crosses into foetus, burdening its pancreas to produce more insulin which leads to development of over sized baby. This happens only when gestational diabetes is not managed properly.

Tanupriya has not mentioned if it is her first child or it is repeat pregnancy.

1 like

Its my first child &gdm diagnosed at 34 weeks

I fail to understand why diagnosis was made so late ? Forget it. Every thing is going on perfectly, so no worries,except perhaps you have to undergo CS.

My hba1clevelis5.3%.

My weight is 67kg height is 5 feet .my hba1c is 5.3%.yup m in 37 week.baby growth is appropriate for gestation

You may also like...