1. Earliest blood sugar testing in urine called Clinitest was introduced by Ames Diagnostics in 1941.
2. Ames Reflectance Meter was first portable blood glucose meter,was marketed in 1969,with condition,to be sold only to doctors and hospitals. Only in 1980 in became available to general public.
3. India has highest number of people with type2 diabetes.
4. The country with highest percentage of type2 diabetes is a tiny island in South Pacific called NAURU.
5. The oldest known record that likely referred to diabetes was 1500 BC in Egypt.
6. Diabetes symptoms ,weight loss, thirst and excess urination was recognised 1200 yrs. before the disease got its name.
7. The greek physician Aretaeus gave name diabetes,but thought that snake bite the cause of disease.
8.Dr. Thomas Willis was first to describe pain stinging from nerve damage due to diabetes.
9.In ancient times doctors would test urine by tasting urine to see if it is sweet.
10.In 1850 a French physician advised patients with diabetes to eat large quantities of sugar.
11. Before 1921 treatment for diabetes was starvation or semi starvation.
12. In 1916 Dr. F.M.Allen developed a treatment programme for diabetes in which whisky mixed with black coffee was given.
13. In 1922 pancreas was discovered to have a role in diabetes.
14. Type1 and type2 diabetes was officially differentiated in 1936.
15. In 1942, the first oral type2 diabetes medication was identified, a sulfonylurea.