First Time with Stepping Stones in the Tropical Heat

After graduating about a month ago, I've unfortunately had to reduce my runs to about two per week. I caught the flu and then a mighty chest cold and now the heat has been steadily rising so much that it is still about 35°C (95°F) with humidity when I go out for my 7pm run!

But, I'm determined to keep running until I'm forced to stop by the heat, so I woke up this morning and went out at 6am (30°C) to try the Stepping Stones podcast for the first time. Oh, it was so fast! I could barely keep up. Apparently, my baseline pace is slower than 150bpm, so after the first track I slowed down a bit and tried to just run for the full time while listening to the new music. I found that I still ran a bit faster than usual, subconsciously trying to keep up with the beats I guess. Next week, I'll try to come up with a more structured approach to working up to 10 minutes at 150bpm.

I can't wait to move home in 2 months where it will be cooler. My hope is that I can actually run faster, but the heat has been masking my real ability...one can hope.

As slow as I was running, there was an older gentleman who seemed embarrassed to be seen walking near me and every time I would pass him on my loop, he'd start jogging for a bit then stop. Maybe I should tell him about these podcasts and get him to join!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

1 Reply

oldestnewest
  • Urgh! Can't begin to imagine running in heat like that - well done you. I'm sure you'll be twice as fast when you get to cooler climes! ;)

I can just imagine that poor man - though maybe if he's jogging and stopping, maybe he's already got the podcasts and is one week 1!

You may also like...