Why is W5R3 harder than W6R1?

I was surprised that week 5 run 3 made me go for 20 minutes (managed it, just barely) and was relieved that week 6 run 1 asked for a 5 minute run, a 3 minute walk, an 8 minute run and then a 3 minute walk and a final 5 minute run.

Why is week 5 run 3 more difficult (20 minute straight run, with no walking)? Am i missing something?

Tomorrow I do week 6 run 2. I never thought I'd make it this far but there you have it :-)

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I don't know the science behind it, but perhaps it is designed to give you an extra "rest" day to consolidate. I remember thinking the same myself at that stage.

All I would say is stick with it it works.

Best of luck with the rest of your runs.

• I thought it looked easier, too. As I'm about to do W6R1 today, I'm glad to hear that it feels easier and it's not just a trick!

• Good luck with W6R1. Tomorrow I do W6R2, which is 10 minutes and then 10 minutes. I did W5R3 with my husband so I hope I can manage to keep going alone...

Keep running!

• Well , after completing w6r1 this morning, I can say I found it a LOT tougher than the twenty minute run. I think it was possibly a mental thing as, on Sunday I knew it would be tough and was happy to finish, whereas today 'should' have been quite easy.

Whatever it was, my legs are not happy with me right now!

• I'm sorry to hear that! The body (and mind) are strange things...perhaps it is all about expectations. I find, though, that sometimes exercising just feels right and sometimes it feels like the worst thing on earth!

I do W6R2 tomorrow evening, so I'll let you know.

Well done for completing it, and good luck for the rest.

• It just is! Just a week ago I was bemoaning that after being on a high of doing 20 mins, W6 was back to shorter runs and I was asking the same question - why? However, I had sense to listen to words of wisdom from more experienced C25Kers and went with the flow - and today I completed 25 mins, not easily but able to do as Laura asked a pick up the pace in the last minute. So, just go with the flow...

• Thanks for the insight. I do W6R2 tonight and am gearing up for that mentally. I like that Laura says to have faith in the plan because I sometimes fret about my abilities instead of just being calm and going with the flow!

I'm nervous about the 25 minute run, though, i have to admit. I will hopefully tackle that on Friday evening.

• Don't know but it works. Keep with it and you will be running 5k. Throughout the 9 weeks the distance runs were my milestones. Still remember doubting myself moving from week 1 to week 2. Dreaded run 3 week 5. Kept with the programme and completed. It gets easier to do the distance runs. I think the shorter distances improve your stamina and recovery.

Still struggle with the first mile but can run 10k now.

You may also like...