Short and sweet!

My knee is giving my gyp. Not the one which twinges every so often (a couple of times a month or so, nothing to worry about) as though someone's stuck a needle into it but the other one, the one that doesn't make a squelching noise as I walk up the stairs. Not pain as such, but the feeling that it's not quite right, as though there's some swelling in the joint.

So I've been taking it easy. I missed my Sunday run completely and just took the dog for a walk, though that turned into a 4.5 mile trek (I'm sure that's the path we used to go up when riding).

Monday was a rest day as normal, then Tuesday was a run day. So I ran. But not as far/as long as normal. Just a quickie, short and fast. Too fast. At an average pace of 5:30 minutes per k, I could only keep going for 9 minutes, then had to do the last 400m home at walk/trot intervals.

Knee not too bad but still not right.

Wednesday is slob day where I catch up with TV from the week after work so good rest for the knee apart from the walking around at work.

Thursday is another run day. I went out for my run this morning. Continuing the theme of sore knee and not running too far I went 2.2k instead of my normal 5ish. I picked up the pace again but not quite as fast as Tuesday, hoping to complete the run. I reversed direction somewhat so most of the downhill was during my warm up walk, I know running downhill is going to cause more impact to my knees as I tend to lean back and land on my heels. I got home breathing a lot more heavily than I do on my longer runs.

Stats:

time 13:13 minutes

Pace 5:58 (my normal pace is 6:30 to 6:50, so that's still faster, though slower than Tuesday, though I had to give up on Tuesday)

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • Beads, the knee problems are aggravating, aren't they? I battle with my silly ol' knee all the time and wonder how much of an improvement I would see in my running if the dang thing would ever settle down. I'm taking Glucosamine and it seems to be helping a little. Hoping all of the knee niggles go away for you! :-) Gayle

• Take it easy Beads. It sounds as though you're having a bit of a time of it. Be careful you don't do any permanent damage. I haven't tried Glucosamine but do take Cod Liver Oil to lubricate my creaky knees - not sure if I should swallow it or rub it in! Maybe both? Best wishes. :)

You may also like...