Anyone for a workout

I treated myself to an exercise DVD, with an Amazon gift card that I got at Christmas.

I've never been into exercise DVDs, but then again I wasn't into running 6 months ago. Anyway I'd heard good things about Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and thought it might be what I needed for non run days.

Well I've just done the first 20 min workout and I'm absolutely shattered, far hotter and sweatier than a 30+minute run. That was a level 1 workout, there are 3.

14 Replies

oldestnewest
  • 'Shred' really does make it sound brutal - it gives me a rather ghoulish picture!

If you think about your running progress though, maybe level 3 will be easy peasy in no time at all!

• I know what you mean, i did the 30 day shred last year and it's a killer. Well worth it though i definately saw results. I'm thinking of giving it another go once im settled back into my running. Good luck

• Was it fun or just painful? Is it dance based? The last exercise DVD I did was Rosemary Conley!!! So I'm a bit old-school!

• No it isn't dance based (I certainly don't have the co-ordination for that, which is why I've never been into exercise classes).

It was hard work, but each section is quite short, which is what makes it do-able.

Here's what is says on the box

*One 2 minute warm-up

*Three 6 minute circuits featuring Jillian's 3-2-1 interval system

-3 Minutes of strength

-2 Minutes of cardio

-1 minute of abs

*One 2 minute cool down

• Thanks for that information, it sounds good! I think I will give it a go, especially as it's only 20 minutes.

• I looked at it on Amazon - the reviews are ... interesting! It looks very tough indeed! I bet it's effective though, if you can keep it up.

I did the NHS stretch and flex podcast 1 (with lovely Laura) today - seems very simple and easy, but I can feel it already.

• Hi BettyJane

I have the 'shred' still in its packaging - I was going to wait til I have graduated from C25K (March) and then do a month of shred (if I try and do it all at ince I will end up knackered out and doing nowt) - will be interested to hear how you progress with it.

• I got Davina's new one for xmas and will try it out this weekend on my non running day. It's based around high intensity training so seems good. I have all her others too and like to mix them up so I don't get bored plus she is the only one I continually use and have been doing so for 3 years.

Well done on giving something new a go; if you keep it up you will definitely see results.

Sue

• Aah the shread..its fab, but you want to punch Jillian in the face by day 5 haha.

• Omg! Just looked this up on amazon, it looks like my worst nightmare..

Still, might give it a go as that's what I thought abt running a few months ago!

What weights do you need to do it?

Thanks

• I borrowed my daughters hand weights, but i think a couple of filled water bottles would do. I am strangely looking forward to next time, just hope it'l get a little easier soon.

• I thinking of maybe doing this on my non-running days. Do you think this will kill me?! I just feel like doing 30 minutes of running every other day just isn't enough.

Also I've only got a limited amount of space in my lounge. How much space do you think I would need to complete the workout?

LazyMoo

• Oh, I've just blogged about this DVD, I loved it! Have done it twice and was sweaty and knackered too so you're not alone! I really enjoyed it and think it'll be a really good one for noticing progress which is always a good motivator. That being said, I can't imagine getting past level 1 at the moment :)

• I've done 2 so far, and agree that it will be quite some time before I'm ready to move up a level.

You may also like...