My first Park Run

Well, this morning I decided to tackle the park run. My husband came with me for moral support, to cheer me on.

How demoralising when everyone overtook me and I overtook no-one. I was convinced I was last by a long way and I was giving myself a right talking to on the way round about how I wasn't a runner at all etc etc.

I walked for the last "hill" but ran the rest and ran to the finish, where I was relieved to find there were a few behind me.

I did it in 38mins34seconds - came 149th out of 154 runners :0)

In the car on the way home, I decided that maybe it wasn't so bad. I really was a couch potato before Christmas and I wouldn't have managed to run one of those laps, let alone the 3 I ran today!

I've looked at some of your times on here and I know I've a long way to go, but hey - I can run (almost) for 5 k :-) :-)

11 Replies

oldestnewest
  • In five months you have gone from not running to running 5k, you have lost weight and this is your first try at a Park Run. Brillant - so no more self doubt. Not a wobble please. I would be amazed and delighted at that time, in fact I can feel myself going green as I type ...

• i think you've done fab! well done for getting out there. we will all get faster over time but do have to start from somewhere (keep telling myself this when i beat myself up about being slow) i came 307 out of about 315 so was also at the back of the pack.

I think we all deserve a huge pat on the back for going..so patting your back for you!!! :)

• Well Done braving your first Parkrun...hope that there are more to come. I warn you ...they are addictive. I've done 10 now. Worst was 53:30, best was 41:41 and for spectacular placing its hard to beat 922/922! Today I was 851st out of 858

• Lol! That is one massive parkrun!

Well done on coming up the rankings though :)

• Well done. You got off your butt and did 5k and that itself is a massive achievement! You also finished in excellent time :)

I finished my first Parkrun 117th out of 125 and today I came 93rd out of 98. We have more fun at the back, the front ones are all about speed! Today I told my fellow snail runners how I considered myself to be a back pacer as opposed to a very slow runner, that's 1 way of looking at it ;)

• Well done! I also ran my first park run yesterday.

I know the feelings but Hey like me you finished!!! you didnt give up and you wasnt last. well done.

• Well done! You show real determination and stamina and have come such a long way, you should be really proud of yourself :D

• I was no couch potato as I regularly cycled 25 miles but haven't run for 25 yrs since school. I am also 6'1" tall so have long levers. I have used c25k to get me back into running and I am doing 5k in that time so I think u should be very proud. Keep going.

• Well done! You should give yourself a big pat on the back!

I did my first one last week and came 206/220 in a similar time.

Second one to be done tomorrow.

When I tell people I do it laughingly but without exception, runners or not the are all very encouraging. After all how many people could actually run 5k? Not that many I suspect!

• Hey that's brilliant, you are a minute and a bit more quicker than me :) and if it was without the hill you'd be quicker still so big grin for you :)

• Great job!! Can't wait to hear about the Race for Life run :)

You may also like...