Should I be drinking lots before I run?

Hi, I do my runs first thing in the morning - set alarm, get up, quick drink of water and off I go usually around 6am. Am just starting week 3 - my question is should I have more to drink before I go? As soon as I get back I drink lots and am drinking a fair amount throught the day too. I dont feel dehydrated but am new to all this running!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I am not sure I would worry too much about it for a while whilst the distances are shorter.

I always did exactly the same, just had a mouthfull of water to get rid of the morning bottom of bird cage sensation!

If you are generally reasonably hydrated then the 'literature' reckons you don't need to carry a drink until you are running more than an hour (or just stepping outside in today's temperatures :-( )

• Agree with Greg. I used to just get up, have a glass of water and go. Works if you are hydrated from previous day.

• Same as Greg & Ali, I drink a couple of glasses and then out the door. I do drink at least 4-5 litres a day though (due to diet). I started to carry a small bottle of water with me from around W7 onwards as I was quite thirsty by the end, again that is probably because I drink so much (water is addictive, the more you drink the more you want!)

• I find a cup of tea (no milk) peppermint or similar + a glass of water works well for me, I also have a small banana.

• Ahh thanks guys - I knew you'd help! I'll carry on then - early works for me, thanks so much!

• I can't seem to win with this one, if I have a drink before I go for a run (a small glass of diluted squash about an hour before) I have to stop and pee in a bush - this has happened 3 times now, but when I don't drink anything I get stitch and spend the last few minutes of my run and the warm down in agony :-)

You may also like...