Extra rest needed I think!

I just got home from W3R3 and am sat, yet again, with ice packs on my shins. I thought I got over the worst of it on week 2.

I think I have to realise that I'm not young anymore and my body is complaining. I have been taking the programme quite slowly due to aches and pains. Today I ran after running on Sunday, well aware that this would be the first time since week 1 that I was only taking the recommended one day rest. To be honest I felt good to go but, as soon as I started running I felt that ache in my shins & though, 'Here we go!'

I carried on, as the pain wasn't unbearable but now I think I have to resign myself to taking - at least - 2 days inbetween :( It's so annoying because I've got the stamina..obviously not the legs ;)

So, Friday or maybe even Saturday, I will be embarking on week 4 :)

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Awww bless you, I know how you feel, my shins have been hurting since w1r1. Luckily mine are easing a bit and I've found it helpful to smother them in Deep Freeze gel before every run, have you tried that?

• It's so frustrating when you've got the stamina but those pesky legs let you down. I found W3 & start of W4 the worst for shin pain (I'm just on W5), so you may find it gets better as you go thru' the programme. Good luck with Week4!

• my left shin plays up occasionally & when it does I wear one of those compression bandages that you can buy & cut to size. definately makes a difference. I did consider compression socks as they are supposed to be really good. I think greg uses those.

I have just had a whole week off from running & absolutely no pain after my last run so sometimes rest is the best medicine.

& masage :) I have one of those scrunchy bath things & if you lather that up you can really feel it on your shin without scratching yourself.

• Yes rest and take it very gradually.

I graduated then had terrible trouble with my knees. They were so painful that I had to hang onto the bannister going downstairs and had real trouble getting out of a chair! Not good.

Went to a very good sports therapist and she gave me some exercises and said no high impact exercise for 2 weeks. Not at all what I wanted to hear when I had just graduated and was super-keen.

I contented myself with fast walking and going to the gym on the cross trainer and bike and am just feeling that I can start running again.

This time I am going to take it gradually though and mix the running with other forms of exercise. Much as I would love to do a park run or 5k race I am going to be sensible (a first!!) and start with the lower podcasts again but try and run faster and build up gradually. If my knees hurt I will stop until they feel better.

I was so intent on getting to the end of the programme and graduating that I went for it hell for leather and ignored my body. You would think I'd have more sense at the age of 56 :)

You may also like...