Couch to 5K
54,786 members87,276 posts

W1R1 Newbie!

It's taken me (a lot more than!) 6 weeks to get the fizz up to do this, but now that I have completed day one, I feel so silly to have taken so long.

For me it was hard, mentally as well as physically; I've got bad knees and weak ankles and I'm very overweight. However, I let out a little emo-sob once I'd done it, feeling very proud and empowered. So many moments I felt like stopping, but I pushed myself and gritted my teeth (and ankles!) and was gentle with my knees, so I didn't run too fast, but I can feel where I've worked, which is all good?! I've only told my other half, as I'm so embarrassed about how I look, he's unbelievably supportive and sweet, so I am lucky. Having several fitness trainers in our family has always made me feel like hiding under a bush, they're all about the 'let me weigh you and do a program for you, we'll work on your xyz first' - which doesn't work for my mental state, it just makes me feel less human and more like a 'work challenge' to them. So I've kept it secret from them all, my goal is to just show up at a family gathering looking fitter, slimmer and in control of me again. Sorry for the long post! /hides in bush again...

14 Replies
oldestnewest

That’s a great post Pixipower, well done on taking that first and most difficult step. You do this for you on your terms, you’ll love it and you won’t look back 👍

1 like

Thank you JennyH10, it's been very difficult since having kids later in life - they're amazing, but my body took such a hit, I used to be so fit, so it's very depressing not to be 'that body/that person' any more... I will get that back, I hope! :)

1 like

I hear ya! My body took a big hit when I had my kids too although it wasn’t especially late in life but now they’re older and I’m fitter now I’m 40 than I was in my early thirties! You got this.

1 like

I did the opposite lol, I was mega-fit, doing pilates/yoga/dance classes/swimming up to 6 days a week, had kids at 40/41, then my body went 'fnnnahhhh' and just deteriorated (2 x c-sects didn't help!). Now I just turned 50 and I can't keep up with them anymore, that's also a goal! Thank you for the positive vibes <3

1 like

You’ll get it back Pixi, I know it’s hard to find the time for lots of exercise when you’ve got kids but it s a great goal to want to keep up with them.

Getting going on W1R1 is the hardest part, but you've done it so there's no stopping you now 🏃‍♀️

1 like

Thank you, it's great to have such positive feedback :)

How amazing!! I completely understand where you are coming from I had exactly the same insecurities about C25K and my weight but after starting it I feel so amazing! Good luck and I hope you achieve what you have set out to! xx

2 likes

Thank you Sjnoke :) I've been reading other people's stories and journeys on here and now feel I am not alone, it's very uplifting! Depression is horrible, I want to kick it's butt so hard now :D

2 likes

And I am sure you will!!☺️☺️

1 like

Welcome and well done on getting started.

The guide to the plan is essential reading healthunlocked.com/couchto5...

Enjoy your journey.

1 like

Thank you :) I have read the info, I decided not to look at the spreadsheet though, as it'll scare me off lol! Like it says in the post 'memories of that hideous 5 mile run at school...' :o

1 like

Small update, as I'm trying to stay focused on my 'rest' day! I've done some gentle stretches/yoga at home and a little 'strength/resistance' work with a couple of cans of beans and a pilates band! Nothing too strenuous, but I feel the need to do 'something', so I keep my mind on the task. I did about 20 minutes in all, not very much, but with work/kids etc, it's all I can manage today. Going to do my W1R2 tomorrow as early as I can, so I can also fit in a yoga session with Adrienne (youtube, she's my favourite!). I'm not feeling 'pain' today, just a few aches and after icing my knee for 10 mins last night, and elevating, it felt a little stronger today (don't want to tempt fate, but it really does!).

Thank you all for your great supportive and encouraging messages yesterday, it really helps so much <3

1 like

Yay! Finally completed W1R3, after three days of being SO busy, I didn't have time. Just did it now and had my banana and water to finish! Feel quite pleased, though wish my ankles didn't hurt quite so much! Also managed 6 mins on a static bike beforehand, along with lots of dancing to very loud music through the day! I think I might smell a bit sweaty lol! Going for a very long shower now, then something healthy for dinner :D

You may also like...