Couch to 5K
60,443 members93,111 posts

Gonna have to take a longer break

I hate my knees. Both of them. They just do not want to cooperate with me.

After another set of week 2 runs, I finally had to go see a sports physician. She put me on a strict regimen of no-impact exercise for the next 4 weeks. :( Majorly bummed, but the elliptical workouts and strength training I'm doing should, according to the doc, build up the muscles around my knees (which, I guess, helps).

I won't be far - I continue to read your inspirational posts and am with you in spirit! Happy running, everyone! I'll be falling behind, but will catch up soon!

9 Replies
oldestnewest

Sorry to hear the knees are still giving you trouble but you have to take the advice and look after yourself. I wonder whether it is possible to adapt C25k to the elliptical?

I hope you're going to stick around, rivengirl42; it's always good hear what you're up to :o)

2 likes

That's a good idea - I'll see if I can't program something into the elliptical to mimic C25K! Thank you!

<3 And of course I'll stick around - y'all are wonderful!

3 likes

Poor you :(

I had knee problems for many years. A lot of walking slowly upgraded to hiking and JointCare Max helped me. After almost 10 years of avoiding any knee involved exercises, I very slowly managed to strengthen my legs and knees. It took me a little over 2 years to get to the point of no knee pain. Now, I can run :) Thing that I thought I will never be able to do.

Rule no 1: don't overdo

Rule no 2: give your muscles time to rest

Rule no 3: increase load / distance / reps very slowly

Rule no 4: gentle regular stretches (also with rest times)

I hope your knee are in better shape than mine was, and you will get rid of the pain much much sooner.

Loads of hugs for you.

2 likes

Thank you - hugs right back!

I'm taking Osteo BiFlex triple strength and it does seem to help (if I remember to take it consistently, which, at my age, can be an issue). I'm going to rest for a few days and then do the elliptical on a lower incline and resistance - like you advise, slowly build up those muscles.

Happy running, IgaT!!

1 like

I take my supplementation just after breakfast. It's just takes time to build up and proper results can be seen after approx. 3 months o consistent taking.

Keep writing how your journey is going :)

I feel under the weather, so have some longer than expected rest time. I hoped to go today, but it felt too early :(

1 like

Sorry to hear you're ill, but it's good that you're listening to your body. Feel better soon!!

1 like

Sorry to hear that. But you have to take a break 😞 my husband swears by glucosamine for his knees. Takes about 6 weeks to kick in and turmeric has been working miracles too. My Pilates teacher is always giving us excercises to strengthen muscles either side our knees? Maybe that could help? A well set up bike is great low impact workout too... hang in there, let us know how you get on 🙂

1 like

I'd heard of turmeric - might give that a go. Can you post the Pilates exercises or a link? Would love to try them out.

Thanks for the suggestions - happy running!

1 like

I'm drinking a concoction daily just now of ginger, lemon, turmeric and chilli powder.

Ginger is nature's anti-inflammatory they say and turmeric does all sorts as can chilli.

The first one was a bit yuck but I quite like it now and I think it does....something 😂

1 like

You may also like...