Couch to 5K
60,501 members93,149 posts

Gym treadmill vs outside

I'm so glad I took two weeks out after suffering from really painful knee . I have just finished a repeat of wk5 r3 but in the gym on the dreaded treadmill. I quite enjoyed it tbh. Stuck my music on and found a zone and stuck at it for twenty minutes quite happily. My knee just appreciates a softer landing at the moment. I would like to think I'll get outside again jogging as I think it's much harder outside in terms of wind resistance etc however if I can only use the gym then so be it. What do you all do?

5 Replies
oldestnewest

Normally 2x week on treadmill and once or twice outside. I did the whole programme on the treadmill and loved it, although it does get awfully hot. Try popping it on an incline of a percent or two if you are not already as this helps to mimic the effect of wind resistance

1 like

Just on the treadmill on WK5 so far. I tried outside a couple of years ago but found too many excuses to give up. I’ll go outside when I’m ready. 😊

1 like

I found treadmill harder so boring love outside go for it you will be surprised good luck let me know how you do

1 like

All different:)

The transition from inside to out is different too...

The indoor runs tend to be in a controlled environment. When you head out , as you say , there are a lot of variables— weather, wind, elevation, and surface type for example. Try starting at a pace that is a bit slower than your treadmill runs to get used to the outdoors.

Off road, fields and grass and tracks can be fun... outdoors is amazing :) Go steady though... outside needs careful running. :)

1 like

I have been outside up to this point but it's just too hard on my knee for now. I'm going to d the gym for a couple of weeks but will try and do one run a week outside to try and 'harden' my knee up again.

You may also like...