Couch to 5K

Jogging/ running what’s in a name?

The lovely room service lady at the hotel said that she’d seen me jogging in the mornings keeping you healthy she said. How nice of her to say so and I should be very pleased.

So this is the thing - the term jogger conjours up in my mind a tanned young 20 something in full make up and ponytail swinging barely breaking into a sweat let alone breathing hard.

I’ve worked blooming hard to be called a runner by Sarah, anyone else over 60 will agree that this journey is a huge achievement for us never run older folk (actually a huge achievement for everyone else too) so the fact that I’m out there red faced, sweating copiously and breathing like a steam train deserves to called a runner not a jogger.

That said it’s only a word and the lady has no idea how I feel about it. So tell me good folks on here am I a jogger ? What’s the difference and does it really matter anyway?

37 Replies
oldestnewest

I feel like I’m running/runner but sometimes when I see my shadow and I’m not so sure 😆

3 likes

🤣 that made me laugh because I was thinking the exact same thing the other day . But then I decided my shadow was just trying to catch up with me 😀

3 likes

I’m thinking why is that old lady following me 👵

3 likes

Not really thought about it but I suppose those labels are pretty interchangeable... although according to Google "The obvious difference between the two is the pace. Jogging is defined as going at a pace of less than 6 mph, while running is defined as anything faster than 6 mph" so it really should be running 👍😁

1 like

So I must be a jogger and not a runner then? Because 6mph = just under 10 km per hour, and I am definitely not running at that pace. That would imply that I could run 5K in half an hour, and at my present speed I would run 5K in about 45 minutes.

I suppose it doesn't matter - I thought the idea of the programme was to "run" for the times set, and build up stamina, etc. But am a bit gutted to learn that I'm not a runner, although I "ran" for 20 minutes yesterday.

Sorry, I'm feeling a bit grumpy (can you tell) and fed up. I know this doesn't matter in the end. I guess I can work on speed if and when I get to graduate.

3 likes

No not grumpy, I know what you mean. What I tel myself al the time that it doesn’t really matter that I often ‘run’ a a pace equal to a brisk walk but most of the time I really don’t care. I am out there not walking for 30 mins at a time and that’s good enough for me . Graduation will be yours.... I’m not sure that I really want to be faster if it means I won’t keep doing it regularly

2 likes

Yes you're right. Running or jogging or whatever you want to call it is different from walking, and I know I am building up my stamina and fitness. I kind of wish I hadn't started measuring my distance and speed, because until recently I have been constantly thrilled by the fact that I can "run" for the times that my coach (Sarah Millican) tells me to.

You’re a runner and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. I can't run at above 6mph either and I graduated 6 months ago and have got faster. But I’m over 50 and now run regularly 10kms. I don’t hear of anyone going for 10km jogs, or 5km jogs.

So I am with you 100% - you ran yesterday, you ran the run before that and the one before that, you run, we run. I’m beginning to think we should ban the ‘j’ word on here...

4 likes

Thank you Jancanrun. For some stupid reason I have started to feel that what I've done so far isn't worth much because I am going too slowly. I wish I hadn't started measuring distance and speed!

I have been running and I am a runner!

Thanks again xxxx

3 likes

Hey fellow ‘j’ - it’s one of the problems I think that sometimes ‘non-runners’ have a definition in mind of what’s a runner and it’s usually Usain or Mo or Paula beeping Ratcliffe. I love them all (sorry Paula for the beep!) but the issue is that human beings love labels, so you’re either fast like Usain, fast and long distance like Mo, or a marathon runner like Paula. There is no ‘runnerometer’ that we have to measure ourselves against. Please never think that you’re going too slowly - some of the best running is slow running, because it gives you stamina and that stamina in turn helps you with speed, if speed is what you want.

2 likes

Well Jan, I'd just like to say, and if anyone else is listening, this forum has more wise people on it than any other I know of. And that definitely includes the Government. So perhaps you should be running the country!

Anyway, I absolutely agree with what you say - I've been so thrilled with the stamina I've been able to build up, and that has been through slow running. 5 weeks ago I had difficulty with 60 seconds - now I can run for 20 minutes. That's a small miracle for me, and has reaped a lot of mental as well as physical benefits.

Thanks again xxx

3 likes

Stick to the "interchangeable" then. What does Google know anyway... I've found it's frequently wrong 😉

Jogger is an Americanism, defined as "one who runs" 👍😁

Yay! I'm a runner after all! Not sure why I'm so grouchy - a bit worried about the snow and whether it's going to delay my start to Week 6, which I plan to start on Friday. Straining at the leash! Which is crazy - I'm the laziest person you could imagine. Sorry to be a bit precious about things - just worried that I am going too slowly.

2 likes

I'm worried getting my runs in tomorrow and hopefully Sunday 👎

So long as you keep going... you're doing great 😉

1 like

I’ve decided that there is no too slowly because I’m there with you. Then I asked myself too slowly for what? I’m not running to catch a bus,running in the Olympics (😆as if) running away from anything I’m just taking my walks up a notch and feeling pretty proud of my self.

Hope you enjoy tour running too...

1 like

You're so right - I am enjoying the running and have surprised myself, so I'll stop throwing a tantrum about what it's called!

Happy running!

1 like

You are a runner 🏃‍♀️👊 you’re here, and getting out there with all this godamn weather - only runners would be that dedicated (crazy) 😅

1 like

I know! I've just been out to the shops and it's absolutely awful out there, but I'm still trying to work out where I might be able to run tomorrow. Crazy indeed!

Watch out! You’ll be dreaming about it soon as I did the other night.. scary how it has got into my inner me 😲

1 like

In my grumpy old woman moments I’d have told her to jog off! But in my more reasoned running karma mode, we run.

I know there are all sorts of debates about speed and I think the ‘speed’ for running is 6 miles per hour or more, but that doesn’t account for age or distance.

And besides which Mr Smooth (Michael Johnson - told me I was a runner) and he is an Olympian who most definitely ran. So his definition works for me.

Well run fellow runner!

1 like

Meh...used to drive me nuts also, but whatever it is I'm doing when I run is making me happy so screw the label on the tin 😁

3 likes

There are two forms of human perambulation - walking gait and running gait. However it is indisputable that there are various forms of running - for example, there is sprinting and hurdling -- and jogging. I don't think anybody would be insulted by being thought of as a sprinter. I have heard it said that the only difference between a jogger and a runner is a race bib!! :)

3 likes

My mother persists in asking me if I've been jogging. I don't know why she does this given that she lives with two runners and never talks about them 'jogging' (and don't wish to hazard a guess) So she gets a Paddington Bear stare and "No, I've been for a run"

3 likes

I sometimes wonder if it’s an age thing, I don’t think that if I were under 30 anyone would say anything but I see you’ve been for a run. But because I’m in my dotage they can’t quite what they see as anything but an aged jogger .still it’s better than being invisible which I usually am 👵 😶

1 like

Running is what I do when I am doing 100 to 400m as fast as I can. Very occasionally I run 800m but usual by that distance I would be jogging. Anything from 1k upwards is jogging. If I can talk, even in short sentences between breaths, then it's jogging.

2 likes

If the lion catches you, you were jogging ;)

1 like

😂

Jogging / running - who cares at least your off your butt doing something 😘

2 likes

Basically in the late 90's the term jogging fell out of favour - a bit like discos changing to clubs - everyone wanted to disassociate with jogging as its was seen as a bit naff.

Whereas the term running conjoured up more of a elite, professional feel. People who ran wore better gear, took it more seriously in their diet, went to races, worked on PBs, splits, etc. It was a change in mindset

Now, people have started to try and define the difference in terms of the speed which people run, which basically says only the faster people are runners - absolute poppycock, and insulting to boot. Marathons are a slower pace, but I have never heard of anyone jogging a marathon

Running is just the thing we used to call jogging. Language moves on.

1 like

you are so right of course and being of the older era my association is negative. Daft isn’t it? Words can have such a positive/negative effect depending on how you feel . Too many mind games , I should stick to running and my music 😊

1 like

If I am not walking then I am running. I don’t even know what this jogging malarkey means?! Isn’t it just another word for running? I think so.

2 likes

Yes you are right, I guess I wouldn’t even have started this post if the comment to me had been ‘I saw you out running . At least she saw me doing wahatever I was doing and actually was paying me a compliment . Thanks for bringing back to Earth 🙂

1 like

It would have annoyed me. My boyfriend occasionally tries to wind me up when I am getting ready to go out by saying “Off for a little jog are we?!” I reply, yes, do you want to come? Just doing a 5k today.” He visibly pales. 😂😂😂

2 likes

Good for you, I reckon envy has a lot to do with it. - jog on us and leave them sitting eh? 🙂

1 like

As I’ve got further through the programme I’ve often stumbled over my words telling people that “I can now run (well really it’s a jog or a shuffle) for x amount of time.” I used to feel like a bit of a fraud because I’m so slow and it was only for short periods so surely that isn’t running? Now I quite frankly don’t give a rats ar*e what word I use. I can run/jog/shuffle for 28 minutes without stopping and I’m damn proud of it 😃😃😃.

I completely understand why the comment got your back up but it came from a positive place so enjoy the compliment and keep RUNNING 😃

3 likes

Thanks, you are so right , I too make all sorts of follow up remarks to the I ran today statement. But now I’ve realised that if I’m speaking to a fellow runner they don’t care how fast ,slow, far I’m running they are just really pleased I’ve joined the club. If it’s to a non runner then I have nothing to prove to them after all . So yes I will keep running and smiling too as I’m sure you are also doing 🙂

Laurel you are a runner! I’m a runner! We are all runners here! This could be our mantra? 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️😀😀 hee! hee!

Happy RUNNING !😀😀

1 like

You may also like...