Couch to 5K
60,537 members93,184 posts

Sustainable pace

This is one of my little things but something that makes a BIG difference.

It was I think w5 with the 10 minute runs and on the 2nd run I had to walk for maybe 15 seconds, that night I came on here and read a post from a member who had "discovered" sustainable pace.

What is sustainable pace

It really is very simple it's a pace that you can maintain for a required period of time, sounds so very simple but that's because it is and guess what it works.

Out for my very next run I slowed it down and guess what I went straight through with no problem, sustainable pace so very simple and so effective

14 Replies
oldestnewest

... and what I’m still trying to master..!!

2 likes

Let it come... that is the trick... stop trying, and relax... it will happen:)

2 likes

I think that’s the problem... even though I take you on every run and listen to what you tell me ... I’m clearly ‘trying’ too hard 😞

1 like

Well... I can understand that.. I suppose I look around too much and that is why my legs just carry me without thinking :) When my happy pace kicks in.. I do feel like I could run for ever...:)

2 likes

To be fair, I find that my legs are happier when I’m looking around and ignoring them ... I then quickly lose the plot and start over thinking again 😂

1 like

Yes.... :) Comfortable, Sustainable or Happy pace.... it works... it really does:)

2 likes

Indeed!! And it makes you feel unlimited, which may lead you anywhere!

2 likes

NIKO NIKO pace

4 likes

I struggle with this a lot. I find my happy pace when I'm over half way through and a lot of that I put down to all roads from here going up (some more than others). I just can't jog uphill without getting out of breath, even though I start slow and take my time. I find every run a tough challenge until the ground flattens out, even though I 'chat' to horses, cows, look at sunrises, fields and have lovely views to look over on the way up. I've grown to love the challenge of hills, but it doesn't make it any easier. I wonder if there is such a thing as a constantly changing gradient happy pace? I guess I just take my opportunity to find it on the way back down. ☺

1 like

Generally when I hit the hills I've learnt to drop to baby steps

1 like

You're right, that's how I do it too. I couldn't chat with someone though, even at that slow pace. I must be improving...it's just rather uphill work. 😉

1 like

it certainly is, one of the runs I do I hit something of a killer hill at 3 miles out and it feels as though this hill lasts for another 3 miles but I make it with baby steps and slowly slowly lol

1 like

3 miles out is a bit cruel! Mine are right from the start but are varying degrees of up for a couple of miles or more. I replay the slowly, slowly manta too! 😀

1 like

AKA "conversational pace" - a pace at which you can comfortably hold a conversation. This level of effort should sustain you for almost distance you chose to run.

1 like

You may also like...