Couch to 5K
62,176 members94,911 posts

Trying out the other voices (Week 3, run 1, round 3)

This is my third time running week three. It seems that every time I complete that week, I get too bogged down with work to do the next one the week after, and then I worry that I won't be able to do it - week 4 is admittedly only two minutes longer, but it seems like a lot - so I restart it after a week's break. Hopefully (as I've said way too many times), I'll be able to actually move on after this week. I worked it out and if I'd started when I was supposed to, and never took a break or restarted a week, I'd have finished a while ago. But eh, at least I'm still going at it, I guess.

I'm getting a little sick of the same words repeated time and time again, though, so I'm planning on switching to try out all the voices this week, and maybe pick a new one for the rest of C25K. Nothing wrong with Sarah of course, but it's getting a bit annoying to hear the exact same thing again and again. I tried Sanjeev yesterday, and had a much better time. Might pick my top three and switch them around even after this, depending on what the others are like.

By the way, anyone who's recently done week 3 will remember the 'imagine you're behind a hedge and run so that someone on the other side can't tell if you're running or walking' shtick, my question is does anyone know how to actually do that? I think I have a naturally bouncy pace, but am unsure how to be less bouncy; when I try I either veer off course or start slowing down.

10 Replies
oldestnewest

I swapped to jo this morning she's very encouraging xx

2 likes

Yeah, I tried Jo yesterday. I liked her practical but supportive attitude.

Just stop repeating week 3, I think. Week 4 will be OK.

1 like

Well you were definitely right. Guess I'd been doubting myself too much. Now I'm officially on week 4, at last!

2 likes

Only three runs this time, OK? Then on to week 5. You can do it!

1 like

If you have only had a weeks break you will be fine to pick up where you left off. Just go for week 4 because you will do it and you will feel great.

2 likes

...Yeah, you were right. Much thanks for the encouragement!

1 like

I ❤️ Jo.

2 likes

The bounce run thing, is quite difficult to explain to someone who isn't in your own body! But here goes. I found I was 'bouncing' because I was thumping my feet down rather than 'kissing the ground' as our mentor Oldfloss always advocates. I found by softening my foot thumps my body wasn't bouncing. For me the bounce was in my feet, I have seen other runners running who seem to do mini leaps in their stride, which looks like they want to lengthen their stride. That could be it, I know our other mentor IannodaTruffe says trying to lengthen your stride as a beginner can be a bad thing for your balance etc.

I don't know if any of these resonate with you. The main thing I guess is to run 'soft' and relax.

2 likes

That's a great description, thanks. I'm a thumper too, I think. Will try softening them a bit on my next run.

1 like

You may also like...