Any advice for sore calf muscles?: Just... - Couch to 5K

Couch to 5K
88,863 members β€’ 121,084 posts

Any advice for sore calf muscles?

Row99
Row99
β€’11 Replies

Just completed wk5 run 1 and amazingly wasn't too bad, my stitch wasn't too bad, I could still breathe, my heart rate wasn't exponential BUT my blooming right calf muscle hurts so bad every time I run. To the point I need some anti inflammatory cream. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

11 Replies
oldest β€’ newest
Sadamski
SadamskiGraduate

Foam rolling, otherwise known as Self-myofascial massage. Hurts like hell but does the job.

runnersworld.com/foam-rolle...

2 likes
Row99
Row99
in reply to Sadamski

Thanks so much, calf usually hurts when I run but this time it's just carried on aching despite pain killers. Will try anything, thanx heaps!

Rignold

hydrate more

4 likes
Now-runner_NeedsAttn

One thing I learned during C25K was that I was running with my calves doing all the work. I made a conscious adjustment to pick my knees up and run with my thighs, reducing the load on my calves.

3 likes
Returning2Run

I will need to try that cos my calves get really tight too

1 like
misswobble
misswobbleGraduate

Maybe you are going too quick.

1 like
Bluebirdrunner

Agree with Rignold, drink more water. Sounds like cramp, I get it too cos' I don't hydrate enough before I run.

1 like
Rignold

I bang on about thi all the time but it is the amount your drink the day before that governs your hydration levels on a run. Downing a pint of water before ging out for a run will just result in you needing a wee. Drinking 3 litres at a minimum the previous day will ensure your muscles are well hydrated.

2 likes
Bluebirdrunner
BluebirdrunnerGraduate
in reply to Rignold

Thanks Rigs I will try.😊x

Getting some water right now...

1 like
Row99
Row99
in reply to Rignold

Yes I think that's my problem, I try to limit how much water I drink cos I just end up needing a wee! So I can well believe I am dehydrated. Cheers.

1 like
Rignold
Rignold
in reply to Row99

Thats why you need the water intake teh day before.

You may also like...