Couch to 5K
54,925 members87,442 posts

My first 'race'

Did a fun run this morning of 2.5 miles. I've never been to an event like this before - my only runs with others have been Parkruns. There was a lovely family atmosphere, carnival-like.

It's a shorter distance than I've been running recently, but I did it in a pace of 7.19 per km, my best so far. And I got my first medal!

I'm doing Race for Life 5k in July which I suspect will be an even bigger event. Also, I found out yesterday that my 'thoughtful' daughter, as my birthday present, has entered us both for a 10k in August! I'd better keep going with the bridge to 10k podcasts....

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Well done! Yes it is a great atmosphere .Last Sunday I ran in the Hereford festival of running . Marathon,half marathon ,10k and 5k. For me it was the 5k .Had a great day,and came home with a medal!

I too am doing RFL in July and yes it's a big event. Looking forward to that.

Anyhoo! Keep up the good work and good luck with all of your up and coming runs

Happy running!😄😄

1 like

Thanks Peggy, you too 😄

1 like

Wow.. sounds wonderful..go you... and what a lovely gift from your daughter :) x

1 like

Yes Floss - it's a 'run for champagne' event, which I'd never heard of... she knows me so well! 😄

Well done Joy, on the race and your PB and, of course, for the medal 😊 the first of many methinks. Bling makes it all worthwhile 🎖🎖🎖

1 like

Well done - glad you enjoyed it.

1 like

You will enjoy the Race for Life, I did a 5k one this time last year. The atmosphere was lovely, very exciting and fun (especially the warm up exercises!). Keep up the training, you will be brilliant :)

Thanks Sue. Now that I've got the first 'race' out of the way, I'm really looking forward to RfL. Plus my daughter is running it too - though she's doing the 10k & I'm doing the 5.

1 like

First bling🥇Well done👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼Seven minutes sounds pretty fast to me at the moment, I'm well impressed🏃🏼‍♀️🏃🏼‍♀️

Thanks, it surprised me as well. Plus there was a bit where we were so congested on a fairly narrow pavement (=sidewalk in Canada, as I'm sure you know!) that I had to walk for a bit.

My aim has always been to get to 6 mins per km, which of course equates to that elusive 5k in 30 minutes!

You may also like...