Feeling proud already W1R2

I am just taking a moment to rehydrate after finishing the second run of week one. I was reflecting as I ran, on how my attitude about exercise has changed, and what it says about how I have changed as a person over the years.

A few months ago, although I can walk for miles with the dog, I never would have considered exercising to the extent of breaking a real sweat. The whole idea of looking dishevelled in public filled me with a sense of dread!

The Couch to 5k scheme is brilliant for complete exercise novices like me. I completely underestimated the value of the podcast and that little voice in your ear spurring you on (and I'm so glad she's British and not American - she sounds like she could be someone you know!). The sense of achievement is fantastic too - I've run more this week than I have since high school - 1980's PE teachers have a lot to answer for!

My weight has fluctuated over the years, and I've got to the point where I can't blame it on having had children any more - my children are 16 and 13! I always said I would do something about it when I had to buy bigger clothes - well that's become a standard thing now so there's no more ignoring it! I am 13st 1lb, which is the heaviest I have ever been. I know the idea of this is fitness, but I would be interested to see if I lose a bit of weight as a bi-product of the whole change of attitude.

I have planned to do 3 different routes each week. the two I've tried so far fit the timing perfectly, and I don't see too many familiar faces en route to distract me. As well as that, the weather is brilliant, so I have the motivation to get out there. I am hoping that by the time winter comes I will have developed a decent routine, and won't find it too difficult getting out there on the grotty days.

Well done to everyone who is further along in the programme - I hope I will still feel this positive at the end!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • A very positive start

Well done you. I am sure that you will continue to improve. You probably don't burn enough calories to lose weight during the programme and would need to follow a healthy eating plan too. I'm not needing to lose weight, but in week seven and notice that I am sleeker and more muscly. I'll take that!

• Well done for starting! You may or may not lose weight on the programme,it does vary, I lost about half a stone, not by counting calories but just watching the diet (fats and sugars) drinking plenty of water keeping well hydrated..😊

You may also like...