Yaaay! 1st park run and 1st 5k done!

Well I argued with myself this morning over whether I should attempt a park run or not. I really wanted to but was a bit scared in case I couldn't do it! I just graduated last week and the furthest I have run so far is just over 4K. Also the weather was looking dreadful! Anyway I headed over to my local park run at Pollok Park and there were lots of friendly people there. Also another few first timers. It was hard going as there were a few hilly bits which I'm not used to - I have been sticking to a flat route up til now. The route is 2 laps of the park and the first lap was actually the worst! I kept thinking 'I can't do this, I'll never make it!' But...... I did! The second lap seemed more manageable apart from the hills! I finally reached the finish line 304th out of 318. My time was 38.05 so I was fairly pleased with that as I was aiming for under 40 min. I had a great time despite the struggle and will definitely be back. Thanks to all the great runners and volunteers who were all very encouraging. There was also a table at the finish with coffee and home baking! Fantastic people!!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

31 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • well done for not talking yourself out of it, I have never done a park run yet but I am making that my goal for January.

• Thanks. It was great- you should do it!

• Good on you Lorna! Well done indeed :)

• Thanks John! I'm pleased I did it๐Ÿ˜†

• Well done on your first pr, great time too! I count upwards till halfway, then downwards, ie I have 2k left, I have 1.5k left etc. It got me through a very tough one this morning so works for me.

It sounds like you are already hooked, enjoy!

Merry Christmas ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ๐ŸŽ…๐Ÿผ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ๐ŸŽ…๐Ÿผ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ

• Thanks jacs! It was a great morning!

• Just fantastic ! You never know what you can do until you try. Well done.

• Thanks! You're right- I never thought I would do it!

• Well done Lorna

• Thanks!

• Wow, that is amazing, very well done! Once you have found the right pace, you can keep going longer. I did my first parkrun as a graduation run, I was terrified! Even had nightmares about it: (1) forgot my barcode (2) turned up late (3) chased by a dog!! It went ok but was a real challenge and my time was 43 minutes (a mixture of fear plus peer pressure pushed me)!

• Haha! Mine wasn't quite so eventful! Happy I've done it though. Thanks x

• Well done you. What a fantastic effort. I believe Poฤบlok is a tough old course so all cudos to you indeed.

• Thanks! I'm happy I've got the 1st one done. I won't be so nervous next time!

• Well done! Great run.

• Thanks! Very pleased.

• Sounds like a fantastic run, I especially liked the idea of home baked cakes at the end. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ

• Yes it was lovely! Coffee was very welcome ๐Ÿ˜Š

• What a great first park run and great time too :)

• Thanks! It was great!

• Brilliant Lorna, you'll never forget your first 5k :)

• Thanks! I hope there will be many more!

• Great stuff Lorna , excellent effort , Well done you ! :-) xxx

• Thanks! It was great! ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Well done ! you must be a good talker ! Now no talking just slap on your cheesy grin and since you've been good and done your park run Santa might visit you tonight !

Have a good Christmas.

• Thanks!!

• Amazing stuff, well done. Looking forward to many more race reports from you.

• Thanks so much! I hope there will be many more.

• Hurrah! That is brilliant!!!!! I am mentally preparing to do my first one in January. Also quite a hilly park but will give it a go.

Merry Christmas!!!!

• Thank you! And go for it- I didn't think I would do it! Happy Xmas!

• How fantastic. You have to push yourself to see how much you can actually do. I bet you're so glad you didn't talk yourself out of doing it. My goal is to do a park run - I've a few weeks to go to graduate but getting there. So pleased to hear your positive feedback about it & can't wait to do one. Well done xx

You may also like...