How accurate is Map My Walk?

Am chuffed at finishing W2R2 this morning. I nearly turned and came back in the door as I hadn't noticed it was raining! Pride stopped me - just in case someone saw me retreat in defeat. Really didn't want to move from bed this morning and definitely didn't want to run but so glad I did. Still have very hurty feet but I feel so much more alive and energetic. I'm posting this bit of nonsense as a reminder to myself that it definitely does make me feel better.

I installed Map My Run at the weekend and used it for the first time today. It said I have covered 3.84km. Is this a reasonably accurate measurement? If so I am doubly chuffed😀

14 Replies

• Probably about right I would think if that includes the 2 x 5 minute walks. I use the Shealth on my samsung phone.

• Sounds okay.. well done youx

• Well done, it's amazing the signs of progress hey? Keeps you wanting to go again to see if next time is better again.

I use map my run, I don't know if its calibrated to be exactly as accurate as some other devices etc but I use it as my trend, and I just like to have a record of when I ran. I use the notes or comments section to write in which number run it was, how I felt (breathless, heavy legged, happy!), what the weather was like, morning or evening etc. Helps motivate me to see personally how far I've come. I was using the app to measure from the start of the warm up to the end but now I've got onto the straight runs weeks, I only use it for the running part, so it looks like my distance has suddenly dropped massively lol! Keep going!!

• That's a good idea I hadn't thought about adding notes. It will always have to include my 5 minute walk up walk as without my glasses I can't see the screen to start it up once I'm out - if I take my glasses with me I shall lose them for sure! I go further than I thought I did though so I'm happy

• You can add notes right away at the end of the run, where it ask if you want to save the run. If you miss that bit ( I often do) I just write in the comments section, but I have changed the settings so only I can see the comments, not the wider mapmyrun community.

• If you go on settings you can delay the start by 5 minutes so that it doesn't include your warm up walk. I've only recently found it and started to use it.

• Sounds good but at the moment I like the numbers including the warm up - sounds more impressive 😀😀

• I've just realised I have mapmywalk no run. Does that make any difference?

• Well done. Mapmyrun is pretty accurate - especially as you are only going to be comparing with yourself at the mo.

Bit concerned about your hurty feet - do you think it would be worth seeing your GP?

• I visit my GP as an absolute last resort as they have never filled me with confidence! I am thinking about finding a chiropodist though. My feet have been hurting in the mornings for quite a while since I had a job where I was standing all day on a concrete floor but this programme has definitely made them worse. The ridiculous thing is that they are only really painful when I am in flat shoes! I really don't want to stop this as I know how hard I will find to start up again and I am genuinely enjoying it.

• I'm no expert but a common complaint for new runners can be plantar fasciitis. Podiatrist may be able to help identify what's troubling you.

• Hi there well done you for getting out there - you are doing great! Like Ullyrunner has said it does sound like plantar fasciitis- a visit to a podiatrist perhaps as they can advise with regard to specific stretches and orthotics/ insoles if necessary. Best of luck with the rest of the program and hope your feet get better soon👍🏽

• Well I have had a long chat with my osteopath and a doctor friend both whom are also pretty sure I have plantar fasciitis 😬😞. So I have some extra stretches and some inserts for my shoes and my husband is on standby for calf massage! As long as I take it easy they have said I should be able to carry on. I have had this problem for a while and just out it down to lack of fitness and excess weight. Excess weight has definitely contributed but the running has made it worse. If only I'd realised I could have done something about it sooner but thanks Ullyrunner and Indizulu for nudging me in the right direction.

• Not sure about that condition but would definitely recommend you wear running socks when running; they're so worth wearing

You may also like...