Pacer day today at Parkrun

I decided today to take it easy at parkrun and would follow the 35 minute pacer. After my difficult run on Thursday, I found today to be quite easy :) Strange thing was that while pacing alongside the pacer, I was able to hold a reasonable conversation with him as we went along -- not exactly a flowing conversation, a bit stilited but good enough to be able to discuss a few things --BUT my HRM showed that my average HR for the 5K was 90% of max ( max showing as 163) . I have been doing some runs at low HR's -75-80% of max and would not have expected to be able to hold any conversation at all at 90% -- but I did!! :) I was also a bit surprised that my av HR went that high for that relatively leisurely 35 minute pace - as my PB is just a tad over 30 mins.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I think sometimes we manage a conversation because it takes our minds off of the running. As for the higher average HR, I don't have a clue why that would be- maybe it depends what the topic of conversation is! x ;-)

• I am wondering if my level of cardio fitness ( as opposed to pace :) ) is better than I thought?? :)

You may also like...